Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying, Selling, and Trusting. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I am in NC now but am blessed with a large hispanic and Mexican population. I had Mexican for lunch and there is a Colombian place around the corner where the women obviously are trying to make me fat. The meals are Huge and really inexpensive and very very good.

I am so glad people are keeping this positive, seeing the humor in things as well.

well I'm finding the humor in the phrase 'blessed with a large hispanic and Mexican population'. Over here in the UK we do get a one sided picture rather.....

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
Quote:
I am in NC now but am blessed with a large hispanic and Mexican population. I had Mexican for lunch and there is a Colombian place around the corner where the women obviously are trying to make me fat. The meals are Huge and really inexpensive and very very good.

I am so glad people are keeping this positive, seeing the humor in things as well.

well I'm finding the humor in the phrase 'blessed with a large hispanic and Mexican population'. Over here in the UK we do get a one sided picture rather.....

Not sure by what you mean one sided.

Mexican and hispanic: Mexico is a very large country the food varies a great deal east to west and north to south
hispanic I was meaning everything south of Mexico

The people that come to america are just folks, I am not for Illegal immigration but I am so very proud of my country that millions of people risk their lives, family and fortunes to come here. It is an odd way of thinking about it but you could have much the same idea. The UK is the promised land for many people.

Most of the folks from south of our border are here legally. They add another layer of richness to the 'American Culture' that is deeply appreciated on my part. Growing up in the South West of the USA "Mexican" culture was as much a part of "American" culture as anything else. They also bring a work ethic that is pretty remarkable and not just unskilled labor.

My roommate in college was of mexican decent, when I would go to his house I was as much a part of the family as everyone there. When you go to a hispanic home as a guest there is going to be food and at least one grandmother that says you need to eat. The kitchen is the ladies' domain and do not infringe on their dominion. There are a thousand things I could tell you to try to paint the word picture but I am at One Cup of Coffee right now. Bottom line do not take the Press at its word, sure there are a lot of things the Cartels have done but the Cartels are not Mexico.

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And .....the wind turns from the south back to the north......Have another cup, David. Sorry to hear you are bummin' out. I think that any way you look at it, buying and selling on the web is still feeling around in the dark. There are some people on this site that I would trust with most anything, even though I have never met them in person. You are one of them. Happy I've been on this site practically from the get-go, and I've seen a few deals that I decided to steer clear of. I like to think of myself as being able to get a feel for people by the posts they leave. And , yes, there are a few hot-heads and cynics here, but with a site this big, they are a given factor. For me, I tend to stay away from 'lurkers' and low posters. My biggest thing is proper grammar. I may misspell a word on occasion, but no one is perfect. But, I sill think that the vast majority of folks here are honest and trust worthy. I recently sold a helm and mail shirt to a fellow forum member with a relatively low post level. We used PayPal(which I personally think is a pain in the ass)and we both had a good experience. I was more worried about the armor getting to him than I was about getting my payment. I think I described the product in vivid detail, even down-talking it a little. I FINALLY got pictures up, and I tried to show as many actual faults as I could. Turns out, I got the money before he got the armor, and I was biting my nails hoping he would be happy with what he got. He finally got his armor, and was pleased. If he were to contact me now and want his money back....he would be S-O-L. I sure as hell don't want the armor back! No one is pleased all the time. You can give some people dying of thirst a drink of water, and they would say ''What? No ICE?". Well, I've always given to the school of 'what comes around goes around'. Better luck in the future. BTW......You still have that mail shirt for sale? Big Grin Wink ................McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I personally don't have a problem in requiring a slight price increase for PayPal. I don't always do it, it depends on the price of the piece, but I don't have a problem with it. Nor do I consider it a "dick" move because I graduated from highschool just a while back. I always offer more than one method of payment. If a customer chooses PayPal due to convenience in speed of transaction, the ability to use a credit card, etc., then they can pay for that convenience. In any other business this is the way it is. I'm selling an item not handing out favors or rebates.

My problem isn't with people giving multiple methods, then asking for the upcharge if the buyer chooses Paypal; it's those folks that say "Paypal preferred/Paypal only - please add 3% for Paypal". If you prefer Paypal, and state that without giving another option, then that is a dick move - you are basically saying "I want the safety and convenience of Paypal, but I want you to pay extra for me to have it" - we aren't a forum or real estate agents, we're arms/armor/history enthusiasts.. And, again, it's also a violation of your agreement with Paypal. As for other businesses upcharging for use of a card, that tends to be rare around here, and I generally avoid those businesses. I know of a few gas stations, a liquor store and some government agencies. For the most part, the price set by a vendor reflects a mark-up acceptable if a charge card is used, and they simply get a bonus if cash is used. That is what I counsel people that request payment by Paypal, and then ask for a mark-up to be paid by the buyer. I've even shown them the math, but, then again, I'm a CPA and tend to do stuff like that.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Paypal Agreement         Reply with quote

It is somewhat tangental to the main point of this discussion, but I believe Victor's comments about asking buyers to pay extra to cover paypal fees is related to the following (from https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#accepting-payments):

Quote:
No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

So technically, when you say "please add 3% for paypal" regardless of whether you accept other payments or not, you are violating the PayPal agreement and your account could be closed. I view this a little like going 5mph over the speed limit. You will probably never get caught, but it is actually wrong. Just don't whine if you get caught.

-- Greyson

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
......You still have that mail shirt for sale? Big Grin Wink ................McM

Yes, not even a nibble on the maille shirt Sad

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, Selling, and Trusting.         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:
Anyhow, Neithon Roberson if you feel this thread will turn ugly and it has the potential please delete it. I would like to think that I and a few others with out naming anyone and with out mud slinging can discuss ways to protect oneself at both ends of the deal.

Why are you purposely spelling my name wrong? Is this some weird passive aggressive disrespect on your part? Why do you feel this is necessary?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, Selling, and Trusting.         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
David Lewis Smith wrote:
Anyhow, Neithon Roberson if you feel this thread will turn ugly and it has the potential please delete it. I would like to think that I and a few others with out naming anyone and with out mud slinging can discuss ways to protect oneself at both ends of the deal.

Why are you purposely spelling my name wrong? Is this some weird passive aggressive disrespect on your part? Why do you feel this is necessary?

Actually it was not purposely, my dirty secret, I cant spell and part of that is dyslexia. Ask anyone that has read anything I posted that was unedited. Anything professional I have either my wife or my secretary copy edit. Things that sound alike, there, their, and they're are bad for me especially. site, sight, cite, ect

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, Selling, and Trusting.         Reply with quote

David Lewis Smith wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
David Lewis Smith wrote:

Actually it was not purposely, my dirty secret, I cant spell and part of that is dyslexia. Ask anyone that has read anything I posted that was unedited. Anything professional I have either my wife or my secretary copy edit. Things that sound alike, there, their, and they're are bad for me especially. site, sight, cite, ect

Well, that is pretty weird given that it doesn't even look like my name, but okay. No big deal, really. Just seemed like maybe you were expecting this topic to turn ugly or something... lol

These sorts of topics are always worthwhile as far as I'm concerned. I love when this community can professionally discuss this sort of thing or, as another example, the reputation of a maker or a discussion of a bad experience, etc. It's these sorts of things that cause us to grow and learn. Good job on you for posting it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buying, Selling, and Trusting.         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Well, that is pretty weird given that it doesn't even look like my name, but okay. No big deal, really. Just seemed like maybe you were expecting this topic to turn ugly or something... lol

These sorts of topics are always worthwhile as far as I'm concerned. I love when this community can professionally discuss this sort of thing or, as another example, the reputation of a maker or a discussion of a bad experience, etc. It's these sorts of things that cause us to grow and learn. Good job on you for posting it.

No, seriously, I really do spell that badly

David L Smith
MSG (RET)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Buying, Selling, and Trusting.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: