Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ring Hilt from Dublin Museum Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy
HI Earl,
Some cool stuff coming out of your place look forward to seeing more,
Ciaran,
Have you decided on which way your going on the fixed-dismountable decision,
last few weeks are the worst on the wait,eh,
Happy
Ciaran Flanagan

PostPosted: Fri 28 Nov, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its gonna be a standard peened on pommell i presume..Im leaving it to earls discretion as to exactly as to how its fits. It wont be welded tho as he only does that specifically for things like stage combat swords that require that added ooomph..

Part of getting earl to make this sword is they are a new outfit trying to make a name for themselves. There are very few of their swords out there and Iiked the guys attitude and sense of humour. I believe its important to help new smiths as it benifits us all so I decided to "take one for the team" and get them to make me a sword Ive wanted for ages. Ive left practically everything up to the smiths discretion bar the hilt design. The idea being so he can impress me and in turn, the whole internet community with his skill. I intend to fully review this sword and give an honest appraisal of it. Hopefully when others read this they will be convinced to give them a try. Right now their waiting list isnt very long in comparison to a lot of others and due to the fact that they are a new operation their prices are very very reasonable. If you have any spare money lying around and have never gone custom before Id say this is an unmissable opportunity.

I remember a good few years back on the old SFI I was browsing through Bjorns site and found lutel. I asked on the forum and no-one had one (or at least no one who read the post had one :-) ) So I decided to order from then and got a wonderfull rapier which I posted many many piccies of...Subsequently they had other orders and suddenly the price Jumped and I believe has jumped again since then. The moral of the story being I got a fantastic rapier at an excellent price because I bought when They had less of a workload and were reletivly unknown to the american market.

C

Ciaran

A wise man is someone who has travelled to heaven and hell and knows the difference.
Ciaran Flanagan

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword is nearly done....some finishing work yet and peening etc but its nearly there!!!

Piccie size to large for display so Please forgive the linking..

http://www.axeforum.com/community/files/3_349.jpg
http://www.axeforum.com/community/files/1_331.jpg

Ciaran

Ciaran

A wise man is someone who has travelled to heaven and hell and knows the difference.
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although this thread has been dead for awhile, I thought I would include a photo of a ring-hilt from the National museum in Dublin. I don't know if this is the sword that was originally referred to here, but it's nice. Also, it has some details about the pommel that seem to be ignored by most modern reproductions.

Note that the inside of the ring is a perfect circle, while the outside is of a more geometric style-- personally I think this looks much better than the simple circle of steel we see so often now. I am also quite fond of the triangular langet, although the terminals on the guard don't do much for me.

Anyway, here it is-- a detail of the hilt, really, but hey!

Edit: I'm going to have to figure out how to post decent pictures one of these days-- it's much bigger than I expected. With the added size there is less definition. My apologies!

David

Attachment: 23.9 KB
Picture3 010.jpg

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tullylough Sword

* Images - Hayes-McCoy, 16th Century Irish Swords in the National Museum of Ireland, Dublin, 1959.

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Thomas!

It's nice to have some more info (and a name) for this sword. I quite like the idea of the cross pommee and the additional decoration.

You're a mine of information Happy

David

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Ring Hilt from Dublin Museum
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: