Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can I make my sword lighter? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leonard Falk

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Can I make my sword lighter?         Reply with quote

Hello,
I bought a viking sword at Wulflund for reenactment fights. The quality is really good. There is only one thing, its a little bit unbalanced. It weighs 1,18kg but feels more. So my question is, is there a way to make it more balanced?
Here is the link to the sword:
https://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/viking-swords/viking-sword-battle-ready-sword-replica.html/
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First: Are you sure the balance is incorrect? A Viking sword is primarily a cutting weapon and as such a certain degree of blade heaviness should be expected. This can be off-putting for someone who hasn't handled the type before.

Also, as you note, this is for re-enactment fighting, and as such it's already going to be somewhat heavier than a true sharp sword due to thicker edges for safety's sake.

That said, there are two main methods of changing the balance:

--You can strip the old fittings and add new fittings with greater weight. This could work to bring the balance point back, however it's not really going to help an already-heavy blade.

--Second method would be to grind down the thickness of the blade, particularly towards the point. The downside is that you are only going to be able to remove a few ounces (grams if you're using metric) at most without radical re-shaping of the blade thickness. It can work though, and this is what I would personally recommend.
Leonard Falk

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have handled a few blunt viking swords and they seem to be better balanced. Do you think it is possible to grind the fuller broader?
Tim Harris
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's certainly possible, with care and precision of course. If you decide to do so, keep cooling the blade after every few passes on the grinder to avoid losing the temper.
https://www.facebook.com/TimHarrisSwords

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can I make my sword lighter?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic