Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Top 5 modern swordsmiths Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Ulf Lidsman

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
For my taste, this topic lacks a lot of value because it lacks context ...

I'm sorry that you think so Nathan but I disagree with you. Before I posted this I new only of Peter Johnsson, Barta and Mateusz. Now I have a long list of names to learn more about. We are at different stages in our journey and I believe that we should respect that some are just trying to craw or take their first steps and others runs as fast as mr Bolt. That said I think that you do a great job with myArmoury and that I'm glad to have found this page.

Last edited by Ulf Lidsman on Wed 07 Sep, 2016 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Ulf Lidsman

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Harris wrote:
I'm not sure about the other four, but J.T. Palikko would be on my list.

His work make me dream...
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For medieval swords:

Maciej Kopciuch

http://artofswordmaking.com/
Ulf Lidsman

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry Marinakis wrote:
For medieval swords:

Maciej Kopciuch

http://artofswordmaking.com/

Really nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ulf Lidsman wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
For my taste, this topic lacks a lot of value because it lacks context ...

I'm sorry that you think so Nathan but I disagree with you. Before I posted this I new only of Peter Johnsson, Barta and Mateusz. Now I have a long list of names to learn more about. We are at different stages in our journey and I believe that we should respect that some are just trying to craw or take their first steps and others runs as fast as mr Bolt. That said I think that you do a great job with myArmoury and that I'm glad to have found this page.

You're saying I don't respect the various stages of the (your word) journey? Are you serious? I created and continue to maintain and curate this very Web site that you're on right now. There's no better way to show that I understand the difficulty of the subject than to create a resource that feeds it. This site's entire intent is to transition people through the various stages of the (your word) journey surrounding the subject of arms and armour.

I'm glad we agree that value comes from those deep into (your word) the journey. Now you can read what I have to say rather than disagreeing with me so quickly:

As a means to try to help anyone have a better understanding of this subject, I will repeat my point: these types of topics provide more value with context. If all a person wants to see is a list of makers, all one has to do is go to our links page, read just the headline sections of our hands-on review page, skim through our discussion forums, browse the headlines of our Facebook Page, or see those names in literally dozens and dozens of other ways. This information is available in multiple ways and is easily accessible. Simply put, it's not a rare commodity and as such, has limited value.

The real value comes from others who have been on (your word) the journey for a long time taking time to discuss why a maker is excellent, what specific types of work a particular maker excels at, what types of experience a maker might have, what types of experience or knowledge a maker might be lacking, how makers compare to one another across multiple disciplines and product types, how makers have progressed through their career, what types of value a maker might provide, what types of specific expertise a maker might possess, how much access to original source material (antiques, etc.) a maker might have, how willing a maker is to invest in a specific project, how a maker prioritizes research/ technique/materials/etc., how a maker's philosophy/interest/passion/priorities match with your own, what types of consumer experience a maker provides, etc. etc. etc.

The list of things to discuss is endless and the information from those types of discussions is immensely more valuable than simply seeing a lazy list of names.

It is a universal truth that REAL VALUE COMES FROM CONTEXT.

But you're in luck because that information with all its glorious context runs throughout every single nook and cranny of this site. This site's DNA is comprised of it.

You're welcome to disagree all you want, but you'd be wrong. I maintain that this topic lacks a lot of value because it lacks a lot of context. I know, as a matter of fact, that its value pales in comparison to the rest of what this site (and so many other places) can offer you. You may want to consider that my comments, and those of other people far along on the (your word) journey like Patrick Kelly, are intended to help you get started in the right direction and in the right way on your own (your word) journey.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steven Lussenburg

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I have seen on this forum, Tomek Kowmal also should be listed here. The work he's posting here is absolutely stunning.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Harris wrote:
I'm not sure about the other four, but J.T. Palikko would be on my list.

Dang, I forgot about him. Make my #5 a five-way tie.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Carl W.

PostPosted: Wed 07 Sep, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is Michael Pikula still active?

If langsaxes count as swords I'd add a vote for Paul Binns.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:

Unfortunately, he's not.

EDITED TO ADD:
You can find him on his Facebook page where he looks to be completed some things.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Carl W. wrote:

Unfortunately, he's not.

EDITED TO ADD:
You can find him on his Facebook page where he looks to be completed some things.

Indeed, he has retired to pursue other employment. You might be able to find some way to contact him personally if you really wanted to, but I won't speak as to how he might respond. I'm sure he would be able to provide data on his past work, or he might be able to repair damage to one of his swords, but that's assuming he still has his equipment and has not sold it off (which also precludes him making another piece).
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ironically, in light of recent events, I'll have to take back my assertion about Michael Pikula...

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=34086

His focus seems to be pattern welded work at the moment, on a small production-run basis, but there would be no harm in a quick email inquiring as to what he's willing to do on an individual basis.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Ironically, in light of recent events, I'll have to take back my assertion about Michael Pikula...

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=34086

His focus seems to be pattern welded work at the moment, on a small production-run basis, but there would be no harm in a quick email inquiring as to what he's willing to do on an individual basis.

Glad that you brought this to my attention, and I see it a good news as I'm a happy owner of a couple of his swords, many of his spear heads including a custom made for me partizan/winged spear ..... also a very nice cinquedea.

As to the Topic itself I guess we can name some makers we like and think make high quality work either by forging or by stock removal .... actually naming the 5 best is difficult since many reputed makers one might only know from their reputation and not directly by having handled or purchased their work.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonder how many of these fine swordsmiths/cutlers are watching this thread? I'm after getting a commission done but asking around is going to take time.

We need a world wide web based dropbox for prospective projects. Go on Nathan, you have so much time on your hands.. ;-)

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Top 5 modern swordsmiths
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: