Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Evidence for Brigandine Caparison? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Pedro Paulo Gaião

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Evidence for Brigandine Caparison?         Reply with quote

I was reading a book about the War of the Roses and I came across a late fifteenth century's illustration representing the Duke of Normandy. Although he certainly didn't wear such armor, I found it curious how the artist made the horse's armor. My questions are: is there any evidence for the use of brigandine bardings? If there aren't, it's nonsense to have a barding made of brigandines?

Attachment: 334.6 KB
brigandine caparison.png

Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What makes you think it is brigandine horse armor and not just a regular cloth horse cover?
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's just cloth. First, the pattern on the cloth is too sparse to be brigandine rivet heads. Second, the folds in the cloth wouldn't be possible if it was armour.

Figure 3 in http://www.metmuseum.org/art/metpublications/..._1480_1620 shows a horse with a patterned cloth cover over mail.

I don't recall ever seeing any brigandine horse armour. I've seen plate (iron/steel), mail, plates and mail, and cuir bouilli from Europe, and mail, plate and mail, lamellar, quilted, hide, and scale from outside Europe. The closest to brigandine I've seen is this Chinese fake brigandine:
http://www.metmuseum.org/content/interactives...1_pop.html
http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/35726
where there are no plates, only rivets. This suggests that the Chinese used brigandine horse armour, but I haven't seen any surviving examples.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Def cloth. Can't think of any evidence for brigandine barding.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Evidence for Brigandine Caparison?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic