Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion 15th Century Bastard Sword (Squire Line) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Albion 15th Century Bastard Sword (Squire Line)         Reply with quote

Going to post some links to reviews of this sword for fun:

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/36684/albion-squire-line-sword?page=1&scrollTo=525901

https://myArmoury.com/review_alb_15th.html

Interesting things stated in those reviews. I just pick one up here from Juan Federico Gonzalez (an excellent transaction by the way) and it seems to be a bit different than the other ones that got reviewed. Different in very good ways. Frankly, I'm much more that a bit impressed by it. The sword that is now mine is not sharpened, but gone is the blunt tip. In its place is reinforced tip that I've seen on other Next Gen Albions in the past. Perhaps they've decided that a Feder is for sparring and the Squire Line is for something else? Maybe this was a mistake. Regardless, I'm really liking it so far.

Not ready to do a review or set my opinion in stone yet, and I can't get any photos tonight...

...but if what Juan sent is representative in any way, I really think this sword might have become an overlooked gem. Biggest rub I see so far is the current wait if you have to get one from Albion.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Now for some crappy cell phone photos!         Reply with quote

First one is an overall of the sword on a terrible background (exercise mat). Point of the photo is to show this sword has a much fairer shape than what I've seen in the official photo. Also illustrates the point that this is not the same point that this sword started out with when introduced. Its a weapon. An not sharpened weapon, but a weapon.

Attachment: 119.05 KB
slb (1).jpg
Nice overall shot

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now we'll do a top down of the hilt. In casual examination I've not really been able to find the seam on the grip yet. For a budget product, or for what I've always considered a budget product, its awfully well one.

Attachment: 150.67 KB
slb (2).jpg
the budget handy bits

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: The real suprise         Reply with quote

To me the real surprise was the tip of this thing. Its a business tip not some blunt-y thing. Don't know if they ever were very blunt but I've seen photos that imply they were. Anyway, it nicely done and basically what I'd call reinforced based on my experience with other Albions. TO be clear I really like this. To also be real clear I would not thrust this at a training partner trusting in protective gear alone to save the day!

Attachment: 152.91 KB
slb (3).jpg
pointy

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a few more really crappy camera photos with the exercise mat background that show furniture fit (its very good). Will post those a bit later since I'm running out of time now! Enjoy!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now for a look at the grip and guard. Mainly the guard. Done very well. Especially well for the price point, at least from my perspective of things.

Attachment: 141.18 KB
slb (4).jpg
not much gap at all

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last one I'm doing. At least for today. Another look at the junction.

Attachment: 136.6 KB
slb (5).jpg
just the smallest of gaplet perhaps

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The point on your Squire Line Bastard sword is certainly more acute than the one on mine. I agree, it looks like a regular XV.a point that's meant for ernst fechten. I quite like that your sword has a point like this; if you are wanting a sword that looks like a sharp but is a step down from the Next Gen line price point, this particular Bastard is an excellent choice. The only reason I could see wanting a rounder point is if you were planning to use it for drills and sparring.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: After playing with this thing more, surprisingly...         Reply with quote

...I really wish that Albion would expand the Squire Line a bit more. The SL Bastard is just a great sword done absolutely no justice by the stock photos on the Albion site! If what I have represents what they are sending its impressive and its a flat bargain. I'm sure its not going to happen since last month I saw something from them saying they were just going to be starting on orders from 2016. It would appear they have roughly nine months of orders in their catalog and have Next Gens and Maestro Line swords that still are not in production (I am soooo very, very glad I did not reserve a Hauptmann or Markgraf).

So just wishful wishing.

Still, it would be cool if some new SL models appeared! I could actually afford to buy them!

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: After playing with this thing more, surprisingly...         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
It would appear they have roughly nine months of orders in their catalog and have Next Gens and Maestro Line swords that still are not in production (I am soooo very, very glad I did not reserve a Hauptmann or Markgraf).

I seriously considered ordering a Markgraf back in 2008 - hah!

I'd be interested in seeing some new Skirmish Line swords

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion 15th Century Bastard Sword (Squire Line)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic