Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early arquebus replica with old barrel. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Early arquebus replica with old barrel.         Reply with quote

Just aquired a very nice arquebus build. Based on a serpentine arquebus from 1475 it has a reproduction stock and an original barrel from the 16th century. The barrel has probably been reused in a later configuration as it has a back sight added. There are also traces of a front sight that has been lost at some time. I don't know too much about the build process as I am the second owner. However I think the details and proportions of the gun are worth a share.

Pedro Paulo Gaião

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

fine acquisition, which is the diameter of the tube?
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

20mm measured at the muzzle. I haven't measured the combustion chamber but I think it has a smaller diameter.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IF this is an original barrel...under NO circumstances attempt to load and fire it ! The chances are that over the years it may have acquired some internal, non-visible flaws. Also, today's modern black powder is stronger than powder of an earlier age.The ONLY safe way to see if the barrel is safe to use is to send the weapon to a PROFESSIONAL gunsmith and get the barrel proof tested.
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All very valid points Ralph. An old barrel is potentially a grenade waiting to go off in your face.
I am not the first owner so this specific gun has been proofed and shot. However just with blanks and rather small loads to keep the margins. My intentsions for it is to use it at reenactment events and still just shoot blanks so there will not be a lot of strain on it.
It has been sitting for some years though, so my plan is to have it checked again. Thanks for the reminder.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 28 Aug, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it does look good, but I would avoid putting too much stress on it, even if it does't turn into a pipe bomb damaging it would be unfortunate.

Finding or having a new modern barrel made could be worth while if you want to shoot an early archebuse and put together another DIY project.

With a tight fitting patched ball to bore these might be surprisingly accurate out to 100 yards and worth having a rear and front sight. ( Although historically these early archebuses may not have used any patches ? But it might still be interesting testing their potential maximum accuracy ? )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early arquebus replica with old barrel.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic