This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

This oh-so-sweet visored sallet was made by one of the masters of the form, François L’Archeveque.

The welded skull is 12ga mile steel, with the tail and visor of 14ga.

The lines and form of this one is georgeous, with complex curvature executed flawlessly … in my experience, François is one of only a handful of makers in the world who ‘get’ sallets.

The form is commonly called ‘Italian’ or ‘Italian export’, but sallets of this form are clearly documented as also having been produced in German/HRE lands in both extant examples and period art.

I’ve used François’s photos, as they’d be better than anything I could take.

Circumference is 23 1/8 inches, or about 58.5–59 cm. The piece comes as from François with a sturdy leather liner, pre-punched ready for a cloth suspended liner sized to your head to be installed.

The piece hasn’t been used for steel combat, and comes much in the form François made it, save for the finish being slightly more matte from polishing maintenance. I’ve also painted the inside of the bowl with black rustproof for both easier maintenance and longevity.

François originally offered this piece at US$1000, and having collected many sallets over the years, I believe the piece would still be worth this.

This piece is located in New Zealand, and will ship via NZ Post’s International Courier at cost with tracking and full insurance. (The online calculator suggests cost to the US, for example, would be about US$65.)

Price is US$595.

Please don’t hesitate to PM me if you need any more information.

Attachment: 295.98 KB
salade%20italienne1.gif

Attachment: 212.38 KB
salade%20italienne1a.gif