Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Highland Clans and Gaelic Culture Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Neal Matheson

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Read either of Chris Duffy's excellent books on The '45 "the '45" and "Fight for a throne", really detailed comprehensive and almost totally blows the angry mob idea out of the water .
Sorry guys Higland forces pulled off complex maneuvers (often under fire) consistently throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. Though refreshing in some respects Reid stetches the available evidence to extraordnary degrees in his work. Charges or rather rapid advances to contact were performed by other European armies in the 17th century notable Swedish and English "elite" formations.

http://www.seeknottheancestors.com/
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:

These men may have lacked the experience, and discipline of MacColla's veterans, but they did perform better in close quarters combat, than the similarly fresh recruits on the covenanter side, who were easily routed by the Highland charge. This suggests that although the Highlanders were inexperienced in modern military tactic, they came from a martial background, and so are unlikely to have been recruited from the Clan's peasantry.

The major issue with these men, was that after a battle, most returned to protect their homes, and the plunder they had gained. This is somewhat reminiscent of the aftermath of a cattle raid.

That was my original point. One cannot confuse personal fighting ability with discipline and knowledge of military tactics. In the Highlands of Scotland, which was where this post was centered before it began to shift to other areas of the map, the young men of some rank were given training in using their weapons so they could fight quite well individually; that does not equate with being drilled in the movements and tactics required to fight an enemy force which is trained in that manner. And you are quite correct to say that the cotters and their children did not receive even the personal combat training given to the sons of tacksmen. The idea that once the fight was over, the looting began and, after there was nothing else to take, the fighter, laden with booty, headed for home to deposit his winnings, is also quite true. This is hardly the action of a disciplined force and it is certainly typical of many if not all tribal societies.

In the case of Alasdair MacColla I think what he did for the Highland Charge was add firearms to the mix of weapons already in use. That is also the opinion of David Stevenson in his book Highland Warrior - Alasdair MacColla and the Civil Wars. Stevenson also expresses my thought above in the following manner: "To members of a warrior society the individual skills and exploits of a warrior conferred greater fame than the skills of a general who directed battles rather than fought in then." This, I think sums up the military perspective of the Highland fighter for many generations.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neal Matheson wrote:
Read either of Chris Duffy's excellent books on The '45 "the '45" and "Fight for a throne", really detailed comprehensive and almost totally blows the angry mob idea out of the water .
Sorry guys Higland forces pulled off complex maneuvers (often under fire) consistently throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. Though refreshing in some respects Reid stetches the available evidence to extraordnary degrees in his work. Charges or rather rapid advances to contact were performed by other European armies in the 17th century notable Swedish and English "elite" formations.

I am in the process of reading Duffy's book, Fight for a Throne right now. It is excruciatingly detailed to the point that I get bogged down regularly. There is no denying its research value however.

On Stuart Reid, I have read several of his books. He is no Jacobite apologist, as was John Prebble. Reid also has some problems with historical accuracy, especially when it comes to weapons.

Neal, I am not questioning what you are saying about the Highland troops in the 17th and 18th century but I have done some reading about them over the years and am simply not aware of the complex maneuvers you refer to in your post. Would you please post some examples.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Neal Matheson

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is off the top of my head.
Memoirs of Ewan Cameron has at least two examples of complex maeuvering, Battle of Glen Fruin features a feigned retreat and ambush, march to Inverlochy.Clifton show military competence. Any amount of maneuver in the 45 preston Pans was a comples advance to contact. The left flank (MacRaes) at sherrifmuir. If Reid is to be believed (I don't agree with this interpretation) numerous feints before the British lineson the left flank at Culloden. Auldearn featured (again according to various reconstructions) being shot onto target, a feigned retreat and a pincer maneuver.

I think we are all in agreement, the sources do allow for a certain amount of leeway but we are all roughly describing the same thing. There was a fantastic analogy drawn about historians. Historians are like artist painting a mountain, they may vary in technique palette and perspective but what they paint can be recognised as the mountain.

That's a fantastic quote from Stevenson, now that's a dense book!

http://www.seeknottheancestors.com/
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neal. Yes I remember reading a paper before, that theorized that Highlanders may have been influenced by the tactics of Gustavus Adolphus. I must admit I know next to nothing about the Swedish army during the Thirty Years War, but I've read that the musketeer would time a salvo (three lines firing simultaneously) right before the pikemen would rush forward. Also the cavalry would charge, fire pistols just before contact was made, then draw swords for the ensuing melee. Both of these tactics are not that different from a Highland charge.

Yes it seems we are all mostly in agreement with one another. It's just the finer details we're discussing.

Lin. Yes this thread has strayed quite a bit from it's original course.

I wasn't saying that the Highlanders were undisciplined and ignorant of modern warfare, only that they lacked experience and discipline in comparison to MacColla's veterans. Each man having fought for four years in Ulster, and many having fought in the Thirty Years War. In my opinion few regiments in all of Ireland, Scotland, or England could match these men.

It also has to be remembered that both the Highlanders and MacColla's men shared the same martial background. If the Highlanders had stuck around long enough, I'm sure that they could become just as formidable as MacColla's men, so why didn't they?

There are two reasons I can think of that the Highlanders would abandon the royalists cause and head for home.

Firstly. AFAIK, these men were not being paid. They had little insensitive to fight for the royalists cause, except that it gave them a chance at revenge on the Campbells.

Secondly. When Montrose started heading southward, most Highlanders would have feared leaving their homes unprotected from reprisals from the Campbells.

This issue of men going home after a single battle may not have been there before firearms became a mainstay in Gaelic warfare. At least in Ireland, a big insensitive to fight for a Chieftain was payment. As I said the majority of troops were Mercenaries. This insured that men wouldn't just return home are a battle, but would serve as long as they were getting paid. I'm not sure what the situation was in Scotland at the same time though. Did they fight for payment or was it more like feudal obligation?

Éirinn go Brách
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 08 Sep, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neal Matheson wrote:
This is off the top of my head.
Memoirs of Ewan Cameron has at least two examples of complex maeuvering, Battle of Glen Fruin features a feigned retreat and ambush, march to Inverlochy.Clifton show military competence. Any amount of maneuver in the 45 preston Pans was a comples advance to contact. The left flank (MacRaes) at sherrifmuir. If Reid is to be believed (I don't agree with this interpretation) numerous feints before the British lineson the left flank at Culloden. Auldearn featured (again according to various reconstructions) being shot onto target, a feigned retreat and a pincer maneuver.

I think we are all in agreement, the sources do allow for a certain amount of leeway but we are all roughly describing the same thing. There was a fantastic analogy drawn about historians. Historians are like artist painting a mountain, they may vary in technique palette and perspective but what they paint can be recognised as the mountain.

That's a fantastic quote from Stevenson, now that's a dense book!

Thanks for the information. I am going to stick by my earlier statements about the lack of maneuver among the Highlanders. Glen Fruin, which was more of a massacre than a battle, featured a flanking movement by the Macgregors against the Colquhouns which was actually done during a frontal assault. Pretty simple all in all but granted it was a bit more than a massed assault.

Retreats to draw opponents into an ambush have been common for a very long time even among the most primitive tribes. Native Americans used it all the time against much more sophisticated, but inexperienced and overconfident whites.

Auldearn, in later descriptions, i.e. 19th century, featured a surprise flanking maneuver by the Irish under MacColla. Problem is that no contemporary accounts mention it and looking at the ground shows that it would be extremely difficult if it had been attempted. It is probably a misunderstanding by 19th century writers or simply a myth.

The left flank – I assume that you are saying the Jacobite left flank – at Sheriffmuir attacked Argyll’s right six times and was beaten back six times. The Jacobite right was pushed or, more probably, was led toward Stirling by Argyll, after its initial assault, reaching Corntown before anyone realized the left had not come along. They reformed, which was a bit of a feat in itself, and marched back to the battlefield to find it was over. But, frontal assaults were the one tactic used. I will also note that the right and left wings of each army were hidden from each other’s view by the Ochil Hills on the battlefield and unified command in either army was either impossible or not attempted. There were also remarkably few casualties in the battle which led a lot of observers to believe both sides were holding back. Lots of relatives facing each other in the battle.

While I agree that Montrose’s feat in getting behind Argyll at Inverlochy is impressive, as is the march by Charlie’s forces to gain an advantage at Prestonpans, I do not think that being able to get yourself in place to launch a surprise assault equates to being able to maneuver your troops on the battlefield under fire to gain the best advantage possible or save the day when things are not going your way.

Just my thoughts on it.

Lin Robinson

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
In the case of Alasdair MacColla I think what he did for the Highland Charge was add firearms to the mix of weapons already in use. That is also the opinion of David Stevenson in his book Highland Warrior - Alasdair MacColla and the Civil Wars.

This idea is widely accepted these days, and I'm not saying that it's definitely wrong, just that there are other possibilities. I think that if the Highlander's main battle tactic had always been the charge, then it would have been noted by the English who witnessed Highland mercenaries fighting in Ireland. I don't think that there is enough evidence to form conclusions either way. That's why I'm challenging these long held idea, that to some people (not talking about anyone here specifically) have become as good as facts. Personally I don't care if my own ideas are right or wrong, if I am ever proved wrong, then I'll be happy because I learned something.

Éirinn go Brách
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:

This idea is widely accepted these days, and I'm not saying that it's definitely wrong, just that there are other possibilities. I think that if the Highlander's main battle tactic had always been the charge, then it would have been noted by the English who witnessed Highland mercenaries fighting in Ireland. I don't think that there is enough evidence to form conclusions either way. That's why I'm challenging these long held idea, that to some people (not talking about anyone here specifically) have become as good as facts. Personally I don't care if my own ideas are right or wrong, if I am ever proved wrong, then I'll be happy because I learned something.

I certainly agree that there could be other possibilities. We are all looking at the events of three hundred years ago through the eyes and pens of others, long dead. Many of those writers and their accounts are less than reliable researchers and reports which, of course, leads to debates such as we are having now and creates the need for such a great forum like this one. I will continue to look and study, as I know you will too...slainte!

Lin Robinson

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before you go Lin here's and interesting quote I just found. On the 5th of June, 1602, Lord Mountjoy wrote to the English privy Council:

"At my first arrival (in Ireland), I found the rebels more in number than at any time they had bin since the conquest, and those so farre from being naked people, as before times, that they were generally better armed then we, knew better the use of their weapons then our men, and even exceeded us in that discipline, which was fittest for the advantage of the naturall strength of the country, for that they being very many, and expert shot, and excelling in footmanship all other nations. In regard whereof I presumed that man's wit could hardly find out any other course to overcome them, but by famine."

Éirinn go Brách
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
clan warfare was a different thing, given the feudal nature of the clan way of life, we are talking about a warrior elite backed by a motley paesant levy, only the leaders and the military elite were sufficently armed and trained, while the clan levy should have been like any other untrained paesant milita of the time, largely ineffectual and almost useless against a regular army.

I know I've addressed this point already Gabriele, but here is more evidence that Gaelic light infantry were not traditionally recruited from the peasantry. In 1541 the Parliament in Dublin passed an act limiting the amount of cloth that could be used by the various classes of people in their léinte.

Nobleman 20 cubits
Vassal or horseman 18 cubits
Kerne or Scot (I'm assuming that Scot refers to gallowglass) 16 cubits
Groom, messenger or other servant of lords 12 cubits
Husbandman or labourer 10 cubits

It seems that Gaelic mercenaries, both kerns and gallowglass, were considered (by the English at least) as middle class. Personally I think that gallowglass had a higher status than kern in Gaelic society, but only slightly.

In Scotland, it seems that the situation was the same. This quote taken from Ross Crawford's PHD thesis illustrates that the peasants were not expected, or even permitted, to go to war.

"And in raising or furthbringing of thair men ony time of year to quhatsumevir
cuntrie or weiris, na labourers of the ground are permittit to steir furth of the cuntrie
quhatevir thair maister have ado, except only gentlemen quhilk labours not, that the
labour belonging to the teiling of the ground and wynning of thair corns may not be
left undone, albeit thai byde furth ane haill zeir, as ofttimes it happins quhen ony of
thair particular Ilands hes to do with Irland or neighbours, that the hail cuntriemen
bides furth watching thair enemies ane zeir, half ane zeir, or thairby, as thai please.
Not the les the ground is not the war labourit, nor the occupiers thairof are nather
molestit, requirit, troublit, nor permittit to gang furth of thair awin cuntrie and Ile
quhair thay dwell."

If no "labourers of the ground" were permitted to go to war, then it seems that Highland light infantry must have also come from a middle class background.

Éirinn go Brách

Last edited by Stephen Curtin on Sat 17 Sep, 2016 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

double post.
Éirinn go Brách

Last edited by Stephen Curtin on Fri 16 Sep, 2016 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A battalion of gallowglass was typically made up of 60 - 80 spars, and each spar consisted of a gallowglass and his two attendants. Many of these attendants were armed with spears, darts, or bows. So in effect a battalion of gallowglass could potentially be made up of between 180 - 240 fighting men, 1/3 of which were armoured, and 2/3 unarmed. This is exactly how armies in the Highlands and Isles were composed according to Crawford. Is this a coincidence, or does it indicate that the light infantry of the Highlands and Isles were part of a three man unit or spar, as was the case in Ireland?

As I said earlier, the majority of Gaels fighting in Ireland were mercenaries. Typically battalions of gallowglass were hired for a period of three months, with each gallowglass receiving three cows as payment. While employed the gallowglass would be housed and fed by the local peasantry. However some groups of gallowglass were granted land by Irish chieftains, in exchange for becoming permanent vassals, rather than mercenaries.

According to the Book of Clan Sweeney, such an agreement was made between the MacSweeneys and the O Donnells of Tír Chonaill. In exchange for land they would provide military service, with two men to be supplied per quarter of land. The book also mentions that should the MacSweeneys be short a man, they were obliged to pay a fine of two cows, one for the missing man, and one for his equipment. Unfortunately It isn't mentioned whether or not the MacSweeneys had to pay rent, as well as provide fighting men. It's likely that they did pay rent though, as usually only the clergy and the learned class were exempt from military service or paying rent.

As the Gaels of Scotland didn't hire mercenaries to fight for them, I imagine that their system was similar to that used by the O Donnells.

Éirinn go Brách
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting post Steven...

Here is a brief description of the system of rents in the Highlands of Scotland as it pertained to military service:

' The agricultural system under the clan chief prior to 1746 was based on parcels of land leased by the chief to his “tacksmen.” Tacksmen were middlemen, often close relatives, who were obligated to provide military service to the chief. In return they received, at nominal cost, long-term leases on large tracts. They did not usually tend this land themselves, renting it out instead to those under them, their “tenants.” The tenants rented the lands from the tacksmen in small groups, tending subdivided plots. Under the tenants were the “cotters” who were simple laborers. In time of conflict, all these persons were required to provide military service to the chief. This was as much a military organization as it was a co-op.'

There is some similarity to the system used in Ireland to raise the Gallowglass.

Lin Robinson

Pedro Paulo Gaião

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
most of the highland clans that you have mentioned are of "norman" roots but this regard only the founder of the chiefly line
[...]
i'm pretty sure that they were conscious of their role has highalnd chiefs but great magnates, like the earl of argyll, probaly has a view of himself as much as any other great noble of the age, i doubt he was regarding himself as a "wild irish"
nor it was regarded as such by their fellow noblemen.

Since many of these highland families had Norman roots, you can say that they kept some, if not much, of the norman style of warfare? In case, knighthood, as lowlanders had? You mentioned the Earl of Argyll, a title that was initially given to a certain Scottish knight name Sir Colin Campbell of Lochow; it is possible then that there was a sort of cavalry to mold the lowlands, as true knights? Or perhaps more like irish hobelars?

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Wars over territory, with sieges and pitched battles, were not as common as they were elsewhere in Europe, probably because the Gaelic lands were fairly thinly populated, and the terrain itself (heavily forested and boggy) wasn't well suited to this style of warfare.

Conflicts over territory did sometimes happen, though this was often two members of the same family fighting over who would be King (any male relative of the previous King was eligible for election, it didn't necessarily pass from father to eldest son).

I'm ignorant at Scotland's terrain, but even in Highlands you had boggy terrain as you had in Ireland and England? (I know England had lots of swamps before the norman conquest, but those problably were drained from 12th century and beyond.

Also, did irish/scottish kingship was decided by election, just as germanic monarchies?

Last edited by Pedro Paulo Gaião on Sat 17 Sep, 2016 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Lin, this information is very helpful. The quote you provided says that all classes of men, including cotters, could be called on for military service by a Clan chief. While the quote I gave in my last post says that cotters were not permitted to go to war. It could be that cotters were only called on in extreme circumstances, when a "rising out" was deemed necessary.

We know that in the 17th and 18th centuries, tacksmen fought as in the front rank, armed with; muskets, pistols, swords, targes, and dirks, so I think that this is the class that gallowglass (and their equivalents back home in Scotland), were recruited from.

Light infantry were most likely recruited from the tenant class. As these men rented their land from the tacksmen, I think it would make sense if these men also served as the tacksmen's attendants, as was done by gallowglass in Ireland.

I've heard from some, that the rear ranks of Jacobite armies were often made up poor Clansmen, armed with their farm tools. I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, then these men would have been cotters.

Éirinn go Brách
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pedro. Yes Gaelic peoples did not pass on lands and titles from father to eldest son, as was done elsewhere in Europe. Instead, when a king or chieftain died, all of his male blood relatives were eligible to become the new king or chieftain. If you do a Google search for "tanistry", you should find more information, that's what the English called this practice.
Éirinn go Brách
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Thanks Lin, this information is very helpful. The quote you provided says that all classes of men, including cotters, could be called on for military service by a Clan chief. While the quote I gave in my last post says that cotters were not permitted to go to war. It could be that cotters were only called on in extreme circumstances, when a "rising out" was deemed necessary.

We know that in the 17th and 18th centuries, tacksmen fought as in the front rank, armed with; muskets, pistols, swords, targes, and dirks, so I think that this is the class that gallowglass (and their equivalents back home in Scotland), were recruited from.

Light infantry were most likely recruited from the tenant class. As these men rented their land from the tacksmen, I think it would make sense if these men also served as the tacksmen's attendants, as was done by gallowglass in Ireland.

I've heard from some, that the rear ranks of Jacobite armies were often made up poor Clansmen, armed with their farm tools. I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, then these men would have been cotters.

I think the implication is that service was owed, period. Under what conditions the untrained, poorly armed cotters would be called out are not specified. The only point being made is that the chief could, if he needed to, increase the size of his fighting force with these people who were, after all, part of his clan in most cases. I note that you are talking about Ireland and I am talking about Scotland. In spite of the close relationship and constant contact between the two, they did not necessarily follow the same guidelines with their fighting forces.

Lin Robinson

Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed. All men on a chief's lands owed him service in one from or another. I suppose it was up to the chief to decide what that service entailed, whether it be military or labour, or whatever else.

Yes. As I said, I'm only beginning to research the Gaels of Scotland, so I'm looking at things from the frame of reference that I'm more familiar with, that being the Gaels of Ireland.

As you said, these two groups of Gaels had many similarities, but also some differences. For example, both groups had two basic troop types, armoured and unarmoured. The armoured men of Ireland fought mostly from horseback, while those of Scotland fought on foot. Irish unarmoured troops preferred darts, while those of Scotland preferred bows (though both weapons were used by both groups). In the 16th century, Scottish Gaels developed a liking for two handed swords, while in Ireland, gallowglass mostly continued using axes. The use of mercenaries was very prevalent amongst Irish chieftains, but not so much with Scottish clan chiefs. Of course the political situation in both countries was very different.

What I'm wondering is, was there any difference between a battalion of retained gallowglass (such as O Donnell's MacSweeneys), and their equivalents back home in Scotland? Both groups received land in exchange for military service, and both groups seems to have been made up of 1/3 armoured men, and 2/3 unarmoured men.

I'm mostly curious about this tenant class in Scotland. Obviously their loyalty was ultimately to the clan chief, but did they owe any services (other than paying rent) to their tacksman? Do you think that they would act as his attendants when on campaign? Did these men receive military training? As they typically fought with projectile weapons, I image that they honed their skills by hunting. Were they allowed to hunt? Were they trained in swordsmanship?

Sorry about all the questions. I still have a lot of research to do on this subject.

Éirinn go Brách
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Agreed. All men on a chief's lands owed him service in one from or another. I suppose it was up to the chief to decide what that service entailed, whether it be military or labour, or whatever else.

As you said, these two groups of Gaels had many similarities, but also some differences. For example, both groups had two basic troop types, armoured and unarmoured. The armoured men of Ireland fought mostly from horseback, while those of Scotland fought on foot. Irish unarmoured troops preferred darts, while those of Scotland preferred bows (though both weapons were used by both groups). In the 16th century, Scottish Gaels developed a liking for two handed swords, while in Ireland, gallowglass mostly continued using axes. The use of mercenaries was very prevalent amongst Irish chieftains, but not so much with Scottish clan chiefs. Of course the political situation in both countries was very different.

What I'm wondering is, was there any difference between a battalion of retained gallowglass (such as O Donnell's MacSweeneys), and their equivalents back home in Scotland? Both groups received land in exchange for military service, and both groups seems to have been made up of 1/3 armoured men, and 2/3 unarmoured men.

I'm mostly curious about this tenant class in Scotland. Obviously their loyalty was ultimately to the clan chief, but did they owe any services (other than paying rent) to their tacksman? Do you think that they would act as his attendants when on campaign? Did these men receive military training? As they typically fought with projectile weapons, I image that they honed their skills by hunting. Were they allowed to hunt? Were they trained in swordsmanship?

A lot of the questions you have do not have answers in contemporary and primary - if I may use a word which really does not fit but is the only one I have - sources. They simply did not write down things that were understood within the clan. Consequently much of the information that exists comes from the observations of outsiders and, as mentioned earlier, a lot of that is inaccurate. Add to that the extremely fanciful ideas of Georgian and Victorian Scots as to what their ancestors did, what they wore, etc.and you have the major problem with separating fact from fancy.

I am not aware of mercenaries being used by chieftains in Scotland although I certainly have not turned over every stone to look for them. I don't consider the Irish mercs who fought with Montrose to have been a Scottish idea. Highlanders fought alongside them of course but they were not really raised by a clan chief and to do so probably would not have entered the mind of a chief. Clans generally raised their men for specific purposes and relied on the manpower they had and help they could expect from clans with which they had alliances. The Clan Chattan, which was a confederation of various otherwise independent clans comes to mind in that regard.

As far as one class of weapons being assigned to tacksmen and another to tenants, I am not aware of such rigidity. A man brought what he had to the muster and if he had a fowling piece and a dirk he brought that. If he had a dirk only, he brought that. Tacksmen were second only to the chief in terms of wealth and they made up the front rank fighting men who were usually (but not always) equipped with full complement of armament - musket or fowler, one or more pistols, dirk and sword. By all accounts they were the shock troops of the clan regiment, fought in the first line and were also most likely to be killed or wounded. If they were, the second line of less well-armed troops would pick up their dropped arms and continue the fight. This has happened from time immemorial and will undoubtedly continue as long as there is warfare.

You asked if the tenants owed anything to their tacksman. From my reading and study over the last 30 plus years I think the answer is nothing beyond rent. The chief was the big dog and his tacksmen who were frequently sons, brothers, cousins, etc. were a major part of his retinue and also the officers of the clan regiment. There was something of a regimental structure in the clans but that should not be taken to mean there was military discipline just because there were officers.

Any way, the discussion continues. I hope some of the above may be of benefit to you.

Lin Robinson

Last edited by Lin Robinson on Mon 19 Sep, 2016 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Lin, yes this is helpful. I think that you've misunderstood what I was saying about mercenaries. I was trying to say that the use of mercenaries was one of the differences amongst the two groups of Gaels. They were used in Ireland, but not in Scotland. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.

If I remember correctly it was the Earl of Huntly who requested Irish troops from the Earl of Antrim. These were the men that MacColla lead to Scotland. Not that this is particularly important.

As for a minimum of equipment being required of certain classes of Gaelic society. In both Ireland and Scotland, a dirk or scian seems to have been the bare minimum of weapons, commonly used amongst all classes of people. Coming at things from an Irish perspective again. According to the Book of Clan Sweeney, gallowglass were required to be equipped with cotúns, mail shirts, pisanes, helmets, and axes. While they aren't mentioned in the above book, gallowglass' attendants are described, in other sources, as having spears, darts, and bows.

If gallowglass in Ireland were required to have the above items of equipment, and needed attendants to carry it all, I image the same was true of their counterparts in Scotland. Is their any evidence that tacksmen in the 17th and 18th centuries had attendants to carry their equipment and provisions? If so would these attendants be expected to take part in combat?

I'm not expecting you to answer all of these questions Lin, as I said I need to do more research. I'm just thinking out loud.

Éirinn go Brách

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Highland Clans and Gaelic Culture
Page 4 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: