Does the Viking sword comes from Carolingian sword ?
Hi,

First, sorry for my bad English, I'll do my best for having the best language as possible.

I would like to know if the Viking sword is made from Carolingian models taken from looting during the 9th century in Europe.
I've read that these swords were the best at the moment and were forbidden to trade. After a looting period, Vikings learnt to make their own swords ?... If it does, can we consider a major part of first Viking swords are Carolingian swords ?

Thanks for all

Regards
I would agree that we are seeing the same generalized types of swords in early 8th-10th century "viking loot" as in Merovingian / Frankish finds. It is less likely to be an error if we refer to them as something like "migration era" swords though.

Proving distinct origin is difficult. Many here have posted different examples of pattern welding (spears, etc.) showing more than one historical group could do that. Likewise, many of the geometric furniture styles can be argued as being found in more than one country. There are some old forum posts on the rather unique aspects of Scandinavian ("Viking") rope pattern designs. If there is very elaborate and intact ornamentation (garnet cloissone for Merovingian), possibly stylized text (perhaps provable authentic Ulfbrecht or Ingelrii), others here may provide a good theory on probable region of the cutlerer or blade maker.
IMHO they have a common predecessor, but evolved in a different way. Continental ones exhibited proper crossguards.
For compact cross guard consideration, look up the sword of Childeric I.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: