Any reason to get a hex assembly for test cutting?
I have always stayed clear of any medieval swords that aren't peened. Not only do I find hex assemblies to be intolerably inauthentic but apparently they need to be regularly tightened up when used for test cutting. I don't alter the fittings of my swords so is there any other reason to get one? I sometimes get bitterly disappointed when I find a sword I that I would have otherwise purchased if it wasn't assembled this way.
Re: Any reason to get a hex assembly for test cutting?
Sam Arwas wrote:
I have always stayed clear of any medieval swords that aren't peened. Not only do I find hex assemblies to be intolerably inauthentic but apparently they need to be regularly tightened up when used for test cutting. I don't alter the fittings of my swords so is there any other reason to get one? I sometimes get bitterly disappointed when I find a sword I that I would have otherwise purchased if it wasn't assembled this way.

Use loctite penetrative thread locker to lock a nut so you dun have to retighten it. I prefer nut, for if accidents happen to any of my fittings, I can always change it without shortening the length of the tang.
Lancelot Chan wrote:
Sam Arwas wrote:

Use loctite penetrative thread locker to lock a nut so you dun have to retighten it. I prefer nut, for if accidents happen to any of my fittings, I can always change it without shortening the length of the tang.
Can I ask what exactly happened/s to your fittings? It sounds like it would take a pretty considerable amount of effort to badly damage basic hilt fittings.
Sam Arwas wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:
Sam Arwas wrote:

Can I ask what exactly happened/s to your fittings? It sounds like it would take a pretty considerable amount of effort to badly damage basic hilt fittings.

Hhahhah what happened before included cats knocked down my swords and fittings hit the floor, or the sword just fell itself without any good reason. Also, I had sword's fitting damaged during a sharp sword duel to the first blood. I had also changed a grip to a thicker diameter after my style has changed from German to Chinese. So you see.
I'm not aware of any evidence that cats were allowed into armouries or onto the walls, cupboards and wardrobes of mead halls to disturb swords or displodge any weapons at all really.

How different Beowulf would have turned out if, just as Grendel loomed, Tiddles was off with Hrunting, or how the outcome of 778AD would have been different if Mr Fluffybuttons had hidden Durendal under a sofa.

:D :cool: :eek:
Peened hilts lossen over time, just as thread hilts do however its also a question of usage people who fence will see more wear and tear than people who just do light cutting. Ease of manufacturing if you're already set up to do threaded hilts why not just keep doing it? One doesn't really have much advantage over the other.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: