Musée Thomas-Dobrée, Nantes, France
Looking for stuff on web, I found this article on the Musée Thomas-Dobrée, located in Nantes, in western France. The museum is currently closed for renovation work, but the "Ouest-France" (a french newspaper) made a quick article on the museum reserves, that are explored during this time.

The museum curator (mrs. Laure Barthet) says that they have plenty of historical weapons, found in the Loire, and that they were barely examinated since their acquiring in the 19th century.

There is a small video were you can have a quick view on some of their pieces.

Video here

Some of the swords gave me chills, like this beautiful vertically S-shaped quillons one on this picture.

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Guillaume Vauthier on Mon 04 Jul, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanks for sharing this little teaser, Guillaume... its looks like an interesting collection! I knew they had a number of Viking swords from their online catalogue, but there is clearly a great deal more to see.

Guillaume Vauthier wrote:
Some of the swords gave me chills, like this beautiful vertically S-shaped quillons one one this picture.

Here is another somewhat similar one that I came across recently, from Dijon. There seems to be a lot of interesting pieces hidden away in French collections, awaiting publication...

[ Linked Image ]
Mark Lewis wrote:
Here is another somewhat similar one that I came across recently, from Dijon. There seems to be a lot of interesting pieces hidden away in French collections, awaiting publication...

Thanks for this, very interesting crossguard too!

As you're saying, it's crazy to think that there are dozens of beautiful weapons in the museums reserves. I dream of spending hours (or days) in such rooms, looking for everything that's hidden.
Mark Lewis wrote:
Here is another somewhat similar one that I came across recently, from Dijon.

I'll happily put a £5 bet on that one being single-edged.

Looks like a trip to Dijon's in order.....

(also, thanks Guillaume, that's reminded me that the Nantes exhibition's getting pretty close to being ready now. Another one I've got to visit soon)
I'm impressed with the massive pommel on the sword with finger ring to the far right.
JG Elmslie wrote:
I'll happily put a £5 bet on that one being single-edged.

Looks like a trip to Dijon's in order.....

Hi JG,
here is the source for this photo - not really any additional information apart from it being found in the 19th century at the castle of Vincelles. (Apparently found with the more well known great bascinet also now in Dijon?)

LINK

I was actually thinking that perhaps the sword with the finger-ring in Nantes was single-edged also... does anyone else think the blade seems asymmetrical towards the tip? It would not be the first example to combine these two features...
JG Elmslie wrote:
(also, thanks Guillaume, that's reminded me that the Nantes exhibition's getting pretty close to being ready now. Another one I've got to visit soon)

You're welcome. You'll take me aware of that, especially if you can look at these beautiful swords!

Mark Lewis wrote:
Hi JG,
here is the source for this photo - not really any additional information apart from it being found in the 19th century at the castle of Vincelles. (Apparently found with the more well known great bascinet also now in Dijon?)

Apparently, according to this article, the sword must be broken ("un tronçon d'épée", a sword section).
Mart Shearer wrote:
I'm impressed with the massive pommel on the sword with finger ring to the far right.

Yeah never seen anything like that before. Length of grip makes it a very sturdy looking 1-hander, that is also extremely broad in the blade most of its length (the tip a bit obscured by the paper).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: