Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Short saber, maybe 18th century - any ideas? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Guillaume Vauthier

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Short saber, maybe 18th century - any ideas?         Reply with quote

Good morning to all,

Several years ago, I found this old saber in an antiques fair, and bought it for a ridiculous amount. Today I re-examined it and it seems in fact pretty interesting. I wondered if it was a "true" weapon, or only a sort of more recent replica. It looks like a briquet saber in dimensions and style, but it is obviously not an official briquet, due to its very rustic construction.

In fact, it is very light, well-balanced and the edge is sharpened. I tried to do some very small cuts with it and it does very nicely; so I thought about a real and functional weapon.

It has a steel blade, a very simple guard red copper-made. The grip is made of wood covered with leather, with what seems to be brass twisted wire. The blade has an important distal taper, that goes forth from 6/7mm at guard to less than 1mm at end.
Unfortunately there's absolutely no maker's mark or inscription on it. Here are some photographies:

All pics just here:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6

Here are the specs:

Total length: 720mm
Blade length: 585mm
Blade width at guard: 41,5mm
Blade width, middle of blade length: 34mm
Blade thickness at guard: 6,5mm
Blade thickness, middle of blade length: 3mm

PoB: 95mm from crossguard
Weight: 530g

Did someone ever see a saber like this before? What do you think?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Short saber, maybe 18th century - any ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic