Armored Combat story on Drudge
I was surprised to see a story like this linked on Drudge. Rough stuff. But it is neat to see the different medieval kits on these gentlemen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-35819...sport.html
Been there, done that...

What the report is about is "Heavy Metal Buhurt" - it's international competition is called Battle of the Nations, BotN.
It has NOTHING to do with historical combat or battles at all, it is a purely modern sport.

The equipment used is often improvised (Extra plate rondels to protect the neck, for example, tacked to bascinets - Nobody ever dug such pieces up, eh?) for extra protection, disregarding historical sources.

It literally plays like Rugby in armour, with weapons.
It CAN be fun, yes, but the rate at which your gear degrades is rather high, and it's all about toppling people over. 90% of the attacks involved are not what you'd want to do to a fully armoured opponent. They simply hammer each others armour.

Now a full-force blow with a pollaxe to the helmeted head is NOT a nice feeling, concussions can happen, but rarely do other severe injuries happen, they're simply too armoured, too padded, the truly dangerous techniques disallowed.

I got bored after about a dozen buhurts, since I wasn't allowed to do what's sensible: Thrust, stab, pierce those weak spots. Removing thrusts... castrates the "combat".

So yes, it's a fun, merry and rather contact-intensive funtime, but it's really about people toppling each other over and hitting armoured parts with blunt weapons. I'd say the amount of long-term injury involved, especially concussions, could be compared to American Football.

Nothing to do with real fighting, martial arts or medieval battles though.
However, the amount of fitness required to competitive is... insane. I have a very high amount of respect for the competitive people of that sport, since, wow, those lads and lasses are sodding FIT!

It's interesting, fun, but it's a very modern sport and does NOT simulate "armoured combat of the medieval ages".
Just wanted to point that out. In a very long post. Heh! :lol:

I personally stick to full-contact oriented sparring that includes stabs, thrusting, historical techniques and truly dangerous weapons.
I've had a lucerne hammer buried in my shoulder, my helmet smashed so hard into my face it broke me nose, a cut below my lower lip, and several other minor scars. THAT is rough stuff. Buhurt might SEEM more violent, but the danger of injury is relatively low, except for concussions.

And yes, I'm mad, a daft nutter, I know. But that's okay.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: