A bronze Chalkidian helmet
An interesting bronze-age helmet up for auction at Hermann Historica in April. The nose piece appears to be missing. I particularly like the use of the Ram's heads. Perhaps an early version of the St. Louis Ram's helmets? :lol:

Attachment: 66.49 KB
37647.jpg

Ah, to lament the life of a poor college student. Thanks for the post though, I enjoy looking at the piece.

--Tim
Boy do I hear you there Tim, I've been moping around these bordes for a while now drooling over swords I can only dream about. :\

That is a cool helmet though. Its interesting to me how many of the pieces that survive from history (helms, swords, and the like) seem to be rather highly decorated. Surely they did not have our advanced ways of decorating things, such as by machine, so I wonder from time to time whether these are extrordanary peices or if they had a better sense of the aethstetic back then or perhaps we are just too cheap now.

Granted they actually had to use these things but that makes it seem only stranger. We buy these things as luxury items not with the intent of marching off to war with our spears and shields.
That's a wonderful looking Chalcidian helmet. A very similar find, but a bit more lavish, and in overall better condition, would be this. The use of the rams head is apparent on this one, as well!:eek:

-Gregory-

Attachment: 49.12 KB
[ Download ]
Joe, one of the reasons that so many examples of ornate arms and armour have survived is that the 'fancier' equipment was owned by the people with the most money. Historically the people with the most money have had their possessions better preserved, especially the more finely made one. I for one doubt that an average soldier would have gone to war wearing a helmet covered in decorative devices. Those helmets, however were not as well preserve because they *were* plain.
If someone knows better, please correct me.
-David
I would go to war in such a helmet ;) its beautiful
David Lindberg wrote:
Joe, one of the reasons that so many examples of ornate arms and armour have survived is that the 'fancier' equipment was owned by the people with the most money. Historically the people with the most money have had their possessions better preserved, especially the more finely made one. I for one doubt that an average soldier would have gone to war wearing a helmet covered in decorative devices. Those helmets, however were not as well preserve because they *were* plain.
If someone knows better, please correct me.
-David

hmmmm.... Good point, I did suspect this as well, but you never know. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: