Test Cutting
This is my first post here, it seems like a great forum.
Anyway, I have seen a few references to test cutting. I have wanted to give this a try, but I don't know what materials to use, or where to get them. Please give whatever details you can.
Thank you,
David.
First off, welcome to the wonderful world of myArmoury!

Test cutting materials that are used range from gallon milk jugs filled with water, 2 liter soda bottles, water soaked rice matts, rolled up newspapers, pool noodles, med. thickness card-board
carpet tubes and various fruits (melons) & veggies.

First you'll need to construct a sturdy cutting stand. Most are very simple to make and safety is a big issue as well. Make sure you have ample room outside to do such activities.

Heres a pic of the cutting stand I made a good while back. A few 2x4 blocks, a 4x4 post and a flat, wide board. Cutting stand on the left , son in the middle and pell on the right.

Sure others have other methods of construction.

Bill

Attachment: 45.88 KB
Evan & pell.jpg

Attachment: 43.98 KB
Fire!!!!!!.jpg

I like your pell.

Easy to move around?

Where did you get the wire spindle or whatever it is that is forming the base?

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 13 Feb, 2005 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanks Joe,

I'm the warehouse supervisor for a electrical supply co. so I have access to tons of these wire spools. And yes easy to move around. I made it so that I could take out the main post for easy transport. Usually do 15-20 min. warm-up on the pell before test cutting, it helps greatly with better blade alignment when cutting.

Did a demo for a group back in Oct. and didn't warm-up any and really screwed up my shoulder for about a week.

Bill
Thanks
Thank you for your response. I've bought some lumber, but I still have one question: What can be done, if anything, for a vertical cut.
Thanks once more,
David.
off to the left you can see my stand. and off to the right you can see the scavengers decending for scraps... :)

[ Linked Image ]
Alex Oster wrote:
off to the left you can see my stand. and off to the right you can see the scavengers decending for scraps... :)

[ Linked Image ]

For some reason I can never see the pictures you post. Possibly a DNS issue, I dunno.
Anton de Vries wrote:
For some reason I can never see the pictures you post. Possibly a DNS issue, I dunno.

None of them have ever worked here, either. No DNS entry for that server.
I can see the pictures on my desk-top computer but not on my note-book?!?!?!? Both have different i-net providers.

Alexi
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:

None of them have ever worked here, either. No DNS entry for that server.

strange they always show for me..

oh, well... saves me time and you web space :cool:
I had a go just now
I sent four water filled milk bottles to their doom. That was an extremely enjoyable experience that reminded me of why I keep all my swords sharp. I used my new Windlass Damascus Viking Sword, and my old Windlass Kindjal. Both cut through wonderfully.
Thank you!
Great David! Now you've been bitten by the cutting bug there's no turning back. Have heard of people hanging a milk jug or 2-liter bottle from a tree limb and cutting, haven't tried that yet, but warmer weather is just around the corner...

Bill

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: