collecting authentic Napoleonic swords
I want to start collecting authentic Swords and Sabres from the Napoleonic era/ 19th century. If anyone has any advice on what to watch out for, what to look for, what to avoid I would be very grateful. Also, where to start looking, thank you.
Try this post on swordforum.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...ier-swords

This site looks promising as a place to start looking.

http://www.antique-swords.eu

Here is Matt Easton's site

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/antique-swords-uk/for-sale/
First off, I'd concentrate on getting some good, accurate reference works, so you know what things to look for. Secondly, I'd take some good, hard looks at sites like Kult of Athena and peruse the modern day replica swords that are available today. If you know what most replicas look like..you're less likely to be fooled by one of them being "distressed/aged" and passed off as originals.. A good rule of thumb is, if you suspect something is "not quite" about a sword..it's best to pass it by. Until you get experienced in the particular swords you're interested in, it always pays to be cautious when parting with your money. Also..*never* assume what the seller claims to be true, IS true. Good luck in building a collection :)
Thank you for the help, very much appreciated, J
Re: collecting authentic Napoleonic swords
John Facundus wrote:
I want to start collecting authentic Swords and Sabres from the Napoleonic era/ 19th century. If anyone has any advice on what to watch out for, what to look for, what to avoid I would be very grateful. Also, where to start looking, thank you.

Hey John:

Dave Kelly here. I've only been collecting for about 9 years. My main interest is French cavalry sabers.

You've picked a tough time to start buying into the sword market. Recesssion has drawn back a lot of sales. Also seems as though a generation of selloffs ha declined. A lot of available items has changed hands.

Reading up on your area of interest helps a bunch. Unfortunately things French stay in the french language. Christian Aries is the bible (1960s). But his folios were not republished and sell for 1K, if you can find them. Petard worked with Aries and has published his own volumnes. More accessable, but also on the secondary market.

Easiest to still get are two books by L'Hoste; Les Sabres and Armes Blanche.

Napoleonics are not cheap. Inflated by popularity, likened to US Civil War swords. Be prepared to spend 1500.00 for excellent quality pieces. ( The delta varies quite a bit by grade.)

Ebay is readily accessible. Pickings aren't as good as they were, but you can still pull in some good weapons at market prices. Naturabuy is the french version of ebay. Lots there.

Auction houses are something I haven't got used to. The rules are different. Commissions and shipping are expensive. Still good places to find deals.

I could go on about replicas. Modern replicas from India have oversized ricassos. Period swords are spare to none. What you can't tell from photos is the dynamic taper of weapons. Most French sabres are aggressively tapered. blades start off at 10-11mm at the guard, 5-6 mm at mid shaft, andd foible blades down around 2 mm. Repros usually have 7mm guards and 3-4 mm foibles. Repro Cuirassiers handle like crow bars. Real Cuirassier sabres are actually fairly lively for their 3 lb weight.

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/19243/dave-kellys-stuff-updtd-2014

My collection site.

I am not an expert. Have learned A LOT the past 9 years. Addicting.

Questions, send me a message.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: