Decorated baselard
The Baselard dagger was a popular dagger style across large parts of Europe from the early 14thC to the end of the 15thC, but to confuse the issue there were two distinct types. The Swiss and Germanic states favoured baselard daggers that were similar in form to Holbein daggers and so they had top and bottom guards a whittle tang construction. The other type uses a scale tang construction and the bottom guard is integral to the blade and the top guard is either forged from the same piece as the blade and fore guard or is a separate piece that is welded or soldered on. This second type was more popular in Italy, England and France.

They also were found right across the social scale, from a simple man at arms right up to a lord, so of course the quality, materials and decoration also was variable.

This dagger is an attempt at a higher status piece of the Italian/English type and dated 15thC.

The blade is around 32cm/12.5" long and is 6mm/1/4" thick at the hilt and is double edged diamond, with a single fuller on both faces. The grip scales are in buffalo horn with copper rivets and some simple silver pin work in a flowering vine style. The sides of the tang and the top guard have had a section of the centre relieved and then cross hatched and has had silver and copper wire encrusted on to it. The relieved area has then been filled with a lacquer.

The client is having a sword scabbard made by Brian at DBK, so this is to have a matching scabbard and so will shortly be sent off to Brian for some of his magic - a joint project!

Tod

Attachment: 88.18 KB
IMGP6620.jpg

Attachment: 178.03 KB
IMGP6621.jpg

Attachment: 164.93 KB
IMGP6623.jpg

Attachment: 139.22 KB
IMGP6625.jpg

Attachment: 225.64 KB
IMGP6626.jpg

Attachment: 180.91 KB
IMGP6627.jpg

That's just perfect. It makes my dagger collection weep.

I want it so bad I could scream.
Hi Tod,

That looks very nice. I can't wait to get started! Well done.
You are awesome
Once again Todd you have done an exceptional job capturing the look and structure of the originals. Really great piece. One I would lay my own money down for that.

Love it.

Craig
Blimey thanks guys, that is all very unexpected and welcome!

I would love to do one with a line of script all round it in some menacing Gothic lettering some day....

Tod
Tod, that is of course stunning. I swear your stuff just keeps getting better and better. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just looks "right". Like you have a time machine in your back yard instead of a forge. Bravo.
Matt Corbin wrote:
Tod, that is of course stunning. I swear your stuff just keeps getting better and better. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just looks "right". Like you have a time machine in your back yard instead of a forge. Bravo.

Actually this is not the first time that someone has suggested that Tod has a TIME MACHINE in his backyard, also the inside of his shop is bigger than the outside of his shop ;) and Tod is really DOCTOR WHO and his shop is the TARDIS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

Tod is one of the Doctor's identities he uses when he need to take time off from saving the Universe, and making period weapons is his hobby, and how he chills out between adventures ...... :lol:

But seriously this Baselard is very impressive and I'm still very happy with the simpler version of Baselard I bought from Tod a while back.
I second Nathan's comment.
MY decorated baselard is too embarrassed to show itself right now
hahaha
That buffalo horn grip makes me horny. Has to be said, though debatable if it has to be read.
Simply wonderful work!
I love the material choice! The execution is perfect as always.
Beautiful stuff Tod. Did I already say that? I've been thinking it since I saw this post and like to see it everyday when I check in.

Nathan, hilarious!
It is beautifully done, I really like your work with silver and copper.
Tod thank you for the show. :)
Greetings myArmoury,

Here are some pictures of the completed set for your viewing enjoyment.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Very very pretty. Lovely lines and lightness of touch!
Well that is lovely work Brian, as ever beautifully executed and simply so crisp and well laid out.

It is interesting and satisfying to see my knife dressed up by another, as our scabbard styles are so different so it is great to see what you have done.

great work and thanks for posting it up.

Tod

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: