Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > About how to appraisal European sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zhenyu Li

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: About how to appraisal European sword         Reply with quote

If I want to learn some professional knowledge about how to appraisal European sword,especially Medieval or Renaissance sword.By the way I wonder how people in the past appraisal swords,is there any antique book about these things?
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help personally but the question is not an overly difficult one. Its possible being a rather pompous forum a lot of those who may be able to help might be put off by your command of English. which is unfortunate.
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I apologize, Zhenyu. I believe Michael's question is aimed at the forum, but it is hard to tell at first reading. Your questions and comments are welcome, and your question is easily-enough understood. I can't explain why some questions do not get much response from the forum.

I am not an expert, but you could start by asking antique dealers or an insurance company how to have an appraisal done. Once you find an expert, you could ask them more specific questions. I would also recommend asking at a university library. Larger universities are sure to be able to get you started. With electronic lending, it doesn't necessarily need to be a library near you. Once you identify some books, ask at your local library about inter library loan.

Of course, someone on this forum may respond with more experience.

Good luck!
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a good question. I would like to know more also. Sword appreciation and appraisal of Japanese swords is fairly developed even in the U.S. Here there are some gatherings where some beginners can learn from experts how to judge and appreciate Japanese swords. And other countries have groups like this also. But there isn't anything like that for Western swords that I know of. Maybe in a few more years? I would love to go to a place like the Park Arms fair in london to see lots of original swords and try to learn about them.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: About how to appraisal European sword         Reply with quote

Zhenyu Li wrote:
If I want to learn some professional knowledge about how to appraisal European sword,especially Medieval or Renaissance sword.By the way I wonder how people in the past appraisal swords,is there any antique book about these things?

Zhenyu,
There is not one set path to being a good appraiser. Some come at it from university degrees in history or archeology combined with lots of observations of originals and fakes. Some come at it from an art background, also combined with lots of observational experience. Some are current or former museum curators with a variety of backgrounds. All of these backgrounds should include a lot of experience in observing weapons.

I think the bottom line is that, at a minimum, you'd need to spend a very long time looking at examples in books and observing pieces in person. I have a fairly decent library of books on arms and armor. I've also visited a number of museums. I've handled antiques a few times. I've been studying arms and armor for close to 15 years and I'd still entrust appraisals of potential antiques to an expert. Happy

Michael Brudon wrote:
Sorry I can't help personally but the question is not an overly difficult one. Its possible being a rather pompous forum a lot of those who may be able to help might be put off by your command of English. which is unfortunate.

Michael,
I find this statement a bit offensive. Sometimes people don't answer because they're busy or because they have nothing to add to the topic. Making assumptions that we're not replying due to language difficulties and because we're pompous is a statement that's both far too sweeping and hard to back up.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > About how to appraisal European sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic