Petersen's Viking Typology
I've seen many references to Petersens Typology for Viking Hilts but havent actually seen all the types and examples listed anywhere. I did a bit of a search and couldnt find what I was looking for. Anyone know where to see them all? Thanks all.
Here you are!

http://www.aiusa.com/medsword/petersen/index.html
Re: Petersens Viking Typology
Allen Johnson wrote:
I've seen many references to Petersens Typology for Viking Hilts but havent actually seen all the types and examples listed anywhere. I did a bit of a search and couldnt find what I was looking for. Anyone know where to see them all? Thanks all.

Hi Allen...

This may not be what you are looking for, but it may be of use for someone else. This was taken from Ian Peirce's work... And another classification I have.

ks

Attachment: 90.05 KB
VikingTypologyPeterson.jpg

Attachment: 82.88 KB
PetersenVikClassWeb.jpg
Petersen Classifiction and Range from Ian Peirce "Swords of the Viking Age."
Much thanks to all. And yes all that does help. Any info is good info :) You guys are great!
If you are interested in that sort of thing you REALLY ought to purchase Pierce's Swords of the Viking Age. It's an outstanding reference, think "Records of the Medieval Sword" with more detail and about Viking swords.
I agree with Russ. Swords of the Viking Age is a must for anyone interested in Viking swords. Please refer to the book for a better schematic of Petersen's classification. Kirk's illustration, while helpful, doesn't show a clear progression of development.
Just a warning, you may discover after reading that book that you are NOW interested in viking swords even if you weren't so much before. I ordered one just because of that book...
Russ is right.

I've decided to get a Templ version of one of those swords...

Just can't decide which!
Russ Ellis wrote:
Just a warning, you may discover after reading that book that you are NOW interested in viking swords even if you weren't so much before. I ordered one just because of that book...

Gee, with me it was the other way round. I developed an interest in Viking swords when looking at the examples in Oakeshott's RotMS, and then I ordered the Viking Sword book. I have to admit that I totally underestimated these swords before.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: