Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What sword was carried by Portuguese soldier during 16th Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Zhenyu Li

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: What sword was carried by Portuguese soldier during 16th         Reply with quote

Would they carry very narrow rapier in battlefield or hand to hand combat in ship?And what sword would their Navy soldier use?
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One distinctly Portuguese form of hilt seems to be the "crab" or "testicles" style.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Pedro Paulo Gaião

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since 1400 they had a slightly modified iberian sword called "Colhona", or "Crab Sword" of "Black Carracks Sword", known for being as much as a cut-and-thrust sword with protective rings and a blackened blade (intended for use in salted water). But I think these fell out of favor at later decades stages of 16th century. Otherwise all other swords, specially knights and fidalgos' swords, would be similar to what the spaniards or the english had at that time.

By the way, do you have Osprey's "The Portuguese in the Age of Discovery"? It's the best guide I have ever find about portuguese military so far. I have the ebook and I can send you by email

Last edited by Pedro Paulo Gaião on Sat 02 Apr, 2016 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
John C. Dos Santos

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Does anyone make these?         Reply with quote

I am getting into 15th c living history and interested in getting a reproduction.
Henry O.

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the later 15th century, You might be interested in this book chapter which gives a really good discussion of the portugese arms and armor depicted in the Pastrana tapestries:

https://www.academia.edu/8267811/Afonso_the_African_and_his_Army_The_Pastrana_Tapestries_as_a_Visual_Encyclopedia_for_the_Study_of_Arms_and_Armor

Here are images of the various tapestries themselves from wikimedia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Pastrana_tapestries

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What sword was carried by Portuguese soldier during 16th
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic