Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL-Windlass Series "BATTLECRY" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.sabersmith.com/

In comparison the Sabersmith swords that Christopher Gregg speaks of make this wretched Windlass line look good, almost.

What a train wreck.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mario M. wrote:
I do not understand, why are they blackened so?

Is there any reasoning for this or are they just doing it for the "tactical" look?

They look like the weapons of choice for a TV show airing either on ABC Family or the CW.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to confess that I'd open my checkbook for the Indian swords before the stuff from Michigan any day. That hurts to say as well, because I really care about US industry.

As far as fantasy goes, blueing does not have to look bad. It's not my cup of tea for the entirety of the weapon, but I thought this sword from Windlass was actually quite tasteful - note that it contrasts the fit and finish of the "Battlecry" line by a significant margin:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2801-sword-of-avalon.aspx

...Of course, they aslo didn't blue the blade. That doesn't have to look bad, either, as far as I'm concerned, but it must be balanced within the bounds of aesthetics and functionality. Although the Battlecry swords may be functional, the aesthetics do not at all represent that function - especially the "Viking" sword and seax. I think a Norseman would be ashamed to carry something that crude into battle... though I also think a poor warrior would be happy to get any sort of sword he could.

I think the real problem we have right now is the "neo-Victorian" belief in how filthy people and their environment used to be. Thus, their posessions are also made to look flithy and crude. The media is the main culprit for this, obviously, but what I do not understand is why this look draws enough of an appeal to carry itself forward. Perhaps in a world of generally good hygene, the only thing that makes the past feel distant is bad hygene?
James Gibson

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
James Gibson wrote:
It looks like the Cold steel for a reason. Windlass bought out cold steel. They are essentially the same company. Some Windlass swords look okay but I think that most of their larger blades are too thin. I tend to steer clear.

We know that Windlass has been a supplier of goods to Cold Steel but I have read nothing of Windlass buying out Cold Steel and Lynn Thompson. Do you have any Information and source for Windlass buying Cold Steel? They have been collaborative for some time.

Cheers

GC
Glen Do l have proof of the sale? No. I have seen it reported on two different forums. But like many things on the internet, it could be wrong. Perhaps I should have said that in this first post.

Cheers back at you.

Occam's razor was a bastard sword
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Gibson wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
James Gibson wrote:
It looks like the Cold steel for a reason. Windlass bought out cold steel. They are essentially the same company. Some Windlass swords look okay but I think that most of their larger blades are too thin. I tend to steer clear.

We know that Windlass has been a supplier of goods to Cold Steel but I have read nothing of Windlass buying out Cold Steel and Lynn Thompson. Do you have any Information and source for Windlass buying Cold Steel? They have been collaborative for some time.

Cheers

GC
Glen Do l have proof of the sale? No. I have seen it reported on two different forums. But like many things on the internet, it could be wrong. Perhaps I should have said that in this first post.

Cheers back at you.

I think some may be misreading the collaboration and making assumptions. You may, or may not note that Windlass sites sell Cold Steel items but never list them as a subsidiary.

Cheers

GC
James Gibson

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
James Gibson wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
James Gibson wrote:

Cheers

GC

Cheers back at you.

I think some may be misreading the collaboration and making assumptions. You may, or may not note that Windlass sites sell Cold Steel items but never list them as a subsidiary.

Cheers

GC

Possibly so. But its also a good marketing ploy that I've seen used in the firearms and automotive industries. Buy an American company and get the customers thinking that they are buying American goods. Happens all the time. Am I saying that this is the case? No. As I stated before I don't know. At any rate if they are one company or two, they seem to colaberate a lot. The first blacked out sword that I remember seeing on the market was from Windlass. Then Cold Steel comes out with man of arms series. Windlass follows with their new blacked out series. Who knows? I'll stick to making my own or buying quality blades from makers who understand balance and form.

Occam's razor was a bastard sword
Richard Miller

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just returned from a friends place after checking out his MRL "Great Ouse River Sword". The Ouse was in production by Windlass until a few months ago when they were taken out of production.

I wondered at the time why they were dumping one of their best swords (in my opinion) so suddenly. After looking it over and checking the blade measurements, I'm pretty sure that the blade on the "Bosworth Longsword" is the same as the one done for the Great Ouse. They called the Ouse a Type XVII, (in spite of it being flattened diamond rather than the hexagonal shape of a true XVII.) The swords are the same length (36") and the width at the base is also just under two inches. Both have a flattened diamond X-section, but the Ouse had fuller

If you ask me, that's a pretty good marketing move... Take a blade, put a much less costly finish on it while NOT having to add a fuller.

Less costly to make, uses stock already on hand and sourced, put cheaper(?) furniture on it, change the name and then mark it up another $150. Sounds like a winner... IF it works.

I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews on the Bosworth and seeing how successful the sword is compared to the Ouse. I'm also wondering if the old Oakeshott Type XIV sword reappears in a new "antiqued" version with a jacked-up price tag?
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Miller wrote:

Hanwei has antiqued finishes on a few of their models : Claymore, Lowlander and one of their Bastard models.

This 'antiqued' finish is quite nicely done though. I suspect it's little more than a simple salt and vinegar bath. Enough to wear the fittings (the blades remain polished, at least mine is), take the gloss off them and give them a light patina, without being unduly obnoxious like this black coating is.

(Mine is a basket-hilted broadsword, by the way)
Richard Miller

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it looks as though we're going to be waiting quite a while for any kind of review of the "Battlecry" line. I called the MRL customer service line and was told that these swords were currently in production at their factory, and that they "...hope to get them in later this month or next month."
I have known people that have waited as long as four months for a MRL shipment, but they were assuring availability by early May.
I'll reserve any opinions until I've seen some unbiased reviews, and just kick back for a while.
Mark Brouillette

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Miller wrote:
Well, it looks as though we're going to be waiting quite a while for any kind of review of the "Battlecry" line. I called the MRL customer service line and was told that these swords were currently in production at their factory, and that they "...hope to get them in later this month or next month."
I have known people that have waited as long as four months for a MRL shipment, but they were assuring availability by early May.
I'll reserve any opinions until I've seen some unbiased reviews, and just kick back for a while.

Ive actually bought a Maldon Seax for a couple reasons, A) i wanted to see if this sword lineup was any good. B) i was looking for a large knife i could beat up without feeling too bad about it.

So i received mine today, much earlier than expected and my first impressions are that this is of better handling quality ive seen from Windlass, the sheath isnt complete rubbish and it actually holds the blade, fit and finish are simply okay, i know the design of these are hit or miss for a lot of people but i think it doesn't look too bad.

So overall first impressions, these seem alright if the quality is consistent across the board, perfectly fine for the price if you ask me, ill post a full review at some point once i use it more.

If anyone has questions i can answer them

(EDIT) This product in particular handles really nicely and i was able to test it out over the past week, its edge retention and solid construction are pretty great, i posted a full review on the Sword Buyers Guide forum.

Attachment: 55.92 KB
IMG_20160413_153707478.jpg
Heres a picture of what i recived

Last edited by Mark Brouillette on Sun 17 Apr, 2016 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Honestly the "Hattin Falchion" is growing on me. With a grip replacement and round of blueing remover/buffing for the blade, it'd look pretty good. What I don't like is the 19th century pin holding the scabbard into the frog but if I didn't already have a go to "archer" walking around sword for living history of a much higher caliber it could be made to fit the bill.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=5015...n+Falchion
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
Honestly the "Hattin Falchion" is growing on me. With a grip replacement and round of blueing remover/buffing for the blade, it'd look pretty good. What I don't like is the 19th century pin holding the scabbard into the frog but if I didn't already have a go to "archer" walking around sword for living history of a much higher caliber it could be made to fit the bill.

]

Yeah, I quite like the lines of it as well. There aren't many falchions out there without the usual clip point. They also took the time to put an octagonal pommel on it as well, not just a generic round pommel.

And... well yeah the scabbard is regrettable. But it has been pointed out often enough in the past, at this price point it should only be regarded as a blade holder, never mind accuracy. The rest of the sword isn't terrible. The grip wrap is a bit iffy, and of course the black finish is just WTF?! but it's nothing some high-grit sandpaper or a wire-wheel couldn't take care of in a trice. Or heck, maybe even just acetone...

And I will note, it's somewhat unusual for a Windlass sword to come with a suspension, even an inaccurate one. So that's a nice touch, I suppose.
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I wondered at the time why they were dumping one of their best swords (in my opinion) so suddenly. After looking it over and checking the blade measurements, I'm pretty sure that the blade on the "Bosworth Longsword" is the same as the one done for the Great Ouse.

Their grips are certainly the same, for what its worth. That's the first thing that I noticed.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Apr, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Tom King wrote:

]

Yeah, I quite like the lines of it as well. There aren't many falchions out there without the usual clip point. They also took the time to put an octagonal pommel on it as well, not just a generic round pommel.

And... well yeah the scabbard is regrettable. But it has been pointed out often enough in the past, at this price point it should only be regarded as a blade holder, never mind accuracy. The rest of the sword isn't terrible. The grip wrap is a bit iffy, and of course the black finish is just WTF?! but it's nothing some high-grit sandpaper or a wire-wheel couldn't take care of in a trice. Or heck, maybe even just acetone...

And I will note, it's somewhat unusual for a Windlass sword to come with a suspension, even an inaccurate one. So that's a nice touch, I suppose.

It looks a lot like they just cut the first several inches off of a bunch of surplus Cold Steel grosse messer blades, blackened them and mounted them with a different hilt style.

My main problem with the line up, though (and most other MRL offerings), is that the company insists on using the phrase "Museum Replicas" in its name, rather than "Cheap Fantasy Sword-like Objects and Other Offenses Against History"... And I speak as one whose first sword purchases were the Windlass Steelcrafts German War Sword (now discontinued and still owned) and the Cold Steel grosse messer (sold to a fellow forumite as a project blade) - I don't think I've ever seen an extant museum piece with a powder-coated hilt (the "German War Sword"), and I'm pretty sure XVth & XVIth century messer hilts weren't stamped out of sheet metal with an integral "nagel". Ya' live, ya' learn.
J. Helm

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a hands on first impressions (not testing) overview video (not mine) of the Battlecry line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rnLfKQubo
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must admit that I actually like Agincourt in plan. I wish the blade was longer, but proportionally it looks right. I could definitely see it being a very fast sword. The Bosworth needs a wider cross to my eyes. Again, going on plan and proportion, only.
John Hardy

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:

If you're on the KOA site, check out the Wulflund "German falchion circa 1500" (item OSW42S). Apart from the finish, it and the Hattin falchion are identical twins...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL-Windlass Series "BATTLECRY"
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: