Go to page 1, 2  Next

New MRL-Windlass Series "BATTLECRY"
I've been looking at the new line of swords just released at Museum Replicas. I'm not a big fan of "antiqued" finishes, but the stats look good, and the hand and a half might make a good back yard cutter/ starter sword.
Any other impressions?
I assume you are referring to these:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/m-115-battlecry-by-windlass.aspx

When you say the "hand and half" sword, I'm not sure if you mean the Bosworth Longsword or the Agincourt War Sword. They all look completely non-historical, the Viking sword being the worst (just awful). But for the price it could be a fun back yard toy. It looks like the pommels are peened, which is nice. The blades could always be sanded and the hilts rewrapped if you wanted to take the time.

My advice would be to save up and get something you will be proud to own. Why spend $256 for a goofy ahistorical piece, when you could save up $484.50 and get something from Valiant Armoury like this:

http://www.valiant-armoury.com/index.php?rout...duct_id=57

That being just one example of possible options for just a bit more money. Of course you will have to wait for it, but than you'll end up with something to treasure.

Happy hunting!
Their stats look pretty reasonable, but about the same as any other Windlass swords. They do have a larger price tag though. To me, it seems the Battlecry line is like Windlass's version of Cold Steel's Man-At-Arms series. The Acre sword is almost cosmetically and statistically identical to the MRL Classic Medieval Sword, and the only notable difference is the Acre is blackened and slightly more heavy.
Though, the Agincourt hand-and-a-half is one of the better looking swords of that series.
The entire line looks just absolutely terrible.
Agreed. For the price you'd be much better off getting a Hanwei Tinker line Norman or Viking.
If only people put as much effort into researching, designing and making these things as they do writing the pseudo-curatorial guff they print along side them they might get a better result.
New MRL Windlass series ...
Appears to me that their marketing research people, If they exist, are making use of a Ouija Board. Nathan is being very kind ....

Cheers,
Dan
I must admit, the Agincourt looks good to me aesthetically. By that I mean the sword's design, not the blackened finish. That, I cannot abide. It looks as if Windlass is trying to up its game with this line, and if so they are to be applauded. However, I'd really prefer they focused on improving their current product line instead of starting up a gimmicky product line.

I'll likely be passing. I'm really lusting after the Valiant Templar Longsword and perhaps their falchion, both of which are known quantities quality-wise and come with decent to nice sheaths. Were Windlass to seriously mark the Battlecry line down, then perhaps I'd take a chance on one, but for what the price points are now for a horribly blackened, overly antiqued sword, well I'll pass.

Bob
Worked for Cold Steel right? So why not Windlass? I think the things look crappy and I think its a lazy effort. I'm sure they will try to sell them as tough and tougher guy weapons. The Clements promotional videos are another barrel of fun.
I'm a fan of their Medieval Falchion and I'd love to see a Conyers-style from them to do a little customization, so I was excited to see a new falchion there, and I like the look of the pommel (the shape of course, not finish)... close, but no cigar. I also really do have to wonder what they could possibly have been thinking with the grips on the seax and Viking sword.
It looks like the Cold steel for a reason. Windlass bought out cold steel. They are essentially the same company. Some Windlass swords look okay but I think that most of their larger blades are too thin. I tend to steer clear.
Joe Fults wrote:
The Clements promotional videos are another barrel of fun.

They are good for a laugh!
James Gibson wrote:
It looks like the Cold steel for a reason. Windlass bought out cold steel. They are essentially the same company. Some Windlass swords look okay but I think that most of their larger blades are too thin. I tend to steer clear.

We know that Windlass has been a supplier of goods to Cold Steel but I have read nothing of Windlass buying out Cold Steel and Lynn Thompson. Do you have any Information and source for Windlass buying Cold Steel? They have been collaborative for some time.

Cheers

GC
Are these blades supposed to be overbuilt compared to the usual Windlass products?

The 'medieval Acre Crusader Broadsword' appears to be a heavier, blackened version of their Classic Medieval Sword, with a different grip. The Classic Medieval is a good sword for the price. I would rather get the original sword and upgrade the grip (that is, if I hadn't already bought and sold one years ago).
I just watched a couple of the videos, the one about the Bosworth and the one about the Acre. It’s telling that most of Mr. Clement’s presentation is focused upon long swords in general, or single-handed swords in general, rather than his impressions about the handling and quality of the individual swords. The Acre’s main selling point seems to be that the sword will have the same edge as those shown in the video. There seems to be even fewer specific selling points for the Bosworth. I wonder how many of the enthusiastic Windlass viewers noticed this?
Travis Canaday wrote:
I assume you are referring to these:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/m-115-battlecry-by-windlass.aspx

When you say the "hand and half" sword, I'm not sure if you mean the Bosworth Longsword or the Agincourt War Sword. They all look completely non-historical, the Viking sword being the worst (just awful). But for the price it could be a fun back yard toy. It looks like the pommels are peened, which is nice. The blades could always be sanded and the hilts rewrapped if you wanted to take the time.

My advice would be to save up and get something you will be proud to own. Why spend $256 for a goofy ahistorical piece, when you could save up $484.50 and get something from Valiant Armoury like this:

http://www.valiant-armoury.com/index.php?rout...duct_id=57

That being just one example of possible options for just a bit more money. Of course you will have to wait for it, but than you'll end up with something to treasure.

Happy hunting!

Actually, I have some pretty fine swords already. I have an Albion Constable and couldn't be more thrilled with it. The majority of my collection isn't near that caliber of sword, but I own a couple Valiant Armoury pieces (the Brighton and the standard longsword) and anyone can see that the new MRL line is nowhere near a high quality sword!

I was thinking that the Agincourt might not be a bad starting sword for some bottle cutting, but nothing for a serious cutter.

Also, I hadn't heard anything about MRL and Cold Steel merging or buy-outs. I live very near Cold Steel's main office in Ventura, CA and our local newspaper covers locally based business' really well. I would think something would've been mentioned, but who knows?
I do not understand, why are they blackened so?

Is there any reasoning for this or are they just doing it for the "tactical" look?
Mario M. wrote:
I do not understand, why are they blackened so?

Is there any reasoning for this or are they just doing it for the "tactical" look?

I don't think that they're going for the "Tactical Look" with this series. Looks to me as if they're going for the "antiqued" look and finished them as such.

Hanwei has antiqued finishes on a few of their models : Claymore, Lowlander and one of their Bastard models.

I like the antiqued finish on "beaters", though. I don't worry about scuffing up the shine because a few scuffs and scratches make even more like an oldie. The antiqued stuff is also more rust resistant, but I still keep them oiled.
Collin D wrote:
I also really do have to wonder what they could possibly have been thinking with the grips on the seax and Viking sword.

Perhaps they are trying to copy the look of certain Sabersmith swords I have seen being sold at various Renaissance Faires. Take a look - they're ridiculously overbuilt and fantastical-looking, just like these Battlecry Viking pieces.

link
Richard Miller wrote:

Actually, I have some pretty fine swords already. I have an Albion Constable and couldn't be more thrilled with it. The majority of my collection isn't near that caliber of sword, but I own a couple Valiant Armoury pieces (the Brighton and the standard longsword) and anyone can see that the new MRL line is nowhere near a high quality sword!

Well than you know what's up. When you asked about a good starter sword I assumed you were just getting in to the sword world.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: