Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help identifying maker of this axe and mace Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John Norcross

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Need help identifying maker of this axe and mace         Reply with quote

These 2 items were made by the same manufacturer and purchased from Museum Replicas back in the 1990s. There are no identifying marks. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachment: 172.77 KB
[ Download ]

John N
Mordred Grey

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The mace put me in mind of a Windlass Steelcrafts offering from some time ago, and sure enough this page shows the one I was thinking of. I'd have been happier if I could find a reference on a vendor site, but if it's been discontinued for some time that may be impossible to find. All the details seem to check out except the finish, so maybe the one in your possession has had some cosmetic work done.

The axe is a model that is unfamiliar to me but if you believe it was purchased from the same place, I would tend to believe it is also Windlass Steelcrafts. Windlass has been MRL's only supplier for quite some time; I believe they purchased MRL (either along with or from parent company Atlanta Cutlery) in 1995 but were by then already the principal manufacturer of MRL's arms and armor items. So anything bought from MRL any time in the 1990's is probably made by Windlass Steelcrafts. None of the pieces I've received from them had any maker's mark other than a printed "Made in India" logo that scrubbed off rather easily during routine cleaning.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Old replacement items         Reply with quote

These are the models that Windlass was making before they purchased MRL. We produced our version of the Mace and Axe and sold them to MRL in the early years but after A&A and MRL parted ways they introduced these to replace our Gothic Mace and Horseman's Axe.

Craig
John Norcross

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I've seen various levels of quality from Windlass Steel and these seem to be on the higher end of the quality scale.
John N
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the mace, a lovely item. I rue the day I sold it on but it now sits in a display in the White Tower.

Supplier of arms and armour to The Royal Armouries has a nice ring to it though :-)

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help identifying maker of this axe and mace
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic