Dutch sword
I'm looking at purchasing this sword ....seller says its a 18th century Dutch officer's sword...is that correct? Or a child court's sword? These are the photos provided by the seller... Thank you very much.

Attachment: 33.44 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 27.83 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 12.66 KB
[ Download ]
The last photo is quite vague and it's hard to tell just how long it is. Did your seller specify whether it was an infantry, naval or artillery officers sword and to what decade of the 18th century it belongs? I don't believe the 18th century Staatse leger had any regulation swords for officers.
I'm not sure the seller knows exactly what it is....and either do i...ive had a person say its possibly a childs court sword. Im going to try and see it in person this weekend. Seller wants $500 for it. Thanks
Jeramy Weeks wrote:
I'm not sure the seller knows exactly what it is....and either do i...ive had a person say its possibly a childs court sword. Im going to try and see it in person this weekend. Seller wants $500 for it. Thanks

Could be a grown mans small sword too, or possible a fake.
This is my Source for Dutch sabres.

http://sabels.net

If you need anything translated let me know.
small sword
From what I can see of the blade, it is in the style of the colichemarde small sword blades, which were popular for fencing exercises, hence the appelation ''court sword'' , or sword used by courtiers to practise their fencing skills. Apparently colichemarde would be an adaptation of a germanic word. I can't say why one would attribute this to children as it would be used by anyone practising their fencing skills, adults included. I guess you'll know when you have it in hand...
Thank you everyone for the info...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: