Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The ring of Jeanne D'Arc subject to legal battle Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: The ring of Jeanne D'Arc subject to legal battle         Reply with quote

This is quite off-topic but I think it's still rather relevant in showing how the ghosts of the past still haunt Europe Wink

Quote:
A ring believed to have belonged to Joan of Arc has been snapped up for an astonishing £240,000 at a London auction house.
The French government is thought to have bought the item of jewellery. It was put up for sale by Robert Hasson, whose father James was Charles de Gaulle’s doctor in the Second World War.
Joan of Arc was burnt at the stake as a heretic by the English in 1431, after claiming she acted under divine guidance when leading the French army to victory at Orleans.
A spokesman for Timeline Auctions, which conducted the sale on Friday, said: ‘The ring is returning to France.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-34676...nment.html

Quote:
'Come and get it': French refuse to hand Joan of Arc's ring back to Britain
French dismiss as "inconceivable" British demands they return Joan of Arc's ring days after buying the relic for £300,000 on the grounds they failed to obtain an export licence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/eur...itain.html

Quote:
"We will get it" says Edward Talbot 12th Earl of Shrewbury.
Elizabeth II of England has reinstated her claims on the vacant French throne and authorized one of England's greatest magnates to raise an army and fight across the Channel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/eur...mouth.html
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This, friends. is why many of our ancestors moved to North America...
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: That was a great read         Reply with quote

Hey,

Thank you for posting that. It's a great read.

The ring had in not been from Joan of arc or an antique with provounace would be something I would purchase at my company for maybe $40 US. $240,000 pounds plus Buyers premium is a victory in itself and shows how we as a world still venerate the past
That makes me happy.

It'll be interesting to see if any verdict it reached in regards to the ring being sent back.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:
This, friends. is why many of our ancestors moved to North America...

with the other half being 'given' a long holiday in Australia Wink
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone wanting a healthy dose of cynicism about this whole sad farrago can PM me.
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Pieter B.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
Anyone wanting a healthy dose of cynicism about this whole sad farrago can PM me.

What is wrong with posting it in the thread?

I am kind of curious how events will unfold, maybe they can settle the issue with a combat of thirty?
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why would anyone go into combat over something that has about the same provenance as the Easter Bunny?
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Lance Morris

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Prov         Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

Do you doubt the article or the ring itself?
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: The ring of Jeanne D'Arc subject to legal battle         Reply with quote

Seems to me like there's a dispute between France and the U.K. over Joan of Arc's ring.
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The ring of Jeanne D'Arc subject to legal battle         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Seems to me like there's a dispute between France and the U.K. over Joan of Arc's ring.

It isn't Joan of Arc's ring. Mark's analogy with the Easter Bunny is a good one.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The ring of Jeanne D'Arc subject to legal battle
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic