Very tall and long hilted sword
I'm looking for a picture of a sword with a very long hilt, maybe 3/5ths of the blade's length. The sword itself stood over the person's head. There was a person who made a reproduction of it as well. The overall length was easily 70+", possibly more. It was not a parade/bearing sword.

The picture, as I recall it, was with the point down and hilt above the individual's head. I believe it was posted on here, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Any help?
I know which image you're looking for... I also can't find it.

Here's one, too...

Quote:
A little short of your specs, but there's the sword of Pier Gerlofs Donia. OAL is about 2.15m, about 7 foot. The blade is still shy of 2m though. Whether it is a fighting sword or not I cannot say; IIRC it weighs about 15lbs, but legend holds that the man himself was a ridiculously strong giant, so who knows!

[ Linked Image ]
No, that's not it. I actually was going to say not the one with Oakeshott in it (if that's even him), but I forgot. Besides, that seems like a parade sword to me. 15lbs?

It's more similar to this: http://oi67.tinypic.com/2rm5fys.jpg

Last edited by Benjamin Floyd II on Tue 02 Feb, 2016 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Is it this Panzerstecher? I think it's by Arma Bohemia.

Attachment: 39.98 KB
a6051d03b6541ee62c3da321b794c3a8.jpg

Sean Flynt wrote:

There it is. I couldn't find that image, but it's the very same one I had in mind.
Sea interesting topic.
This photo from the book 'Monuments seventeenth century: John III Jubilee Exhibition in Krakow in 1883'
I think that the sword is much older.
I appreciate the size of the sword to 190 cm.

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 217.85 KB
[ Download ]
Sean Flynt wrote:

That's the one! Thanks! Even bigger than I remembered. :P
Sean Flynt wrote:

looks more like a lance or spear than a sword to me
anyone?
Very tall and long-hilted sword
[ Linked Image ]
The sword's original owner, Pier Gerlofs Donia, turned out to be a Frisian rebel leader and pirate who lived between 1480 and 1520. He was better known as Grote Pier (in Dutch) and Grutte Pier (in Frisian) (Great Pier) due to his size and strength.
Quote:
The sword's original owner, Pier Gerlofs Donia,

Would probably have said "why do people think I would use a parade sword that's 100 years old?"

Its not Piers Donia's sword. its a parade sword from about 1410-1420. There's two in the Royal Armouries that have a verifiable dating, and are identical to it in all dimensions, same pommel shape, same cross, same grip shape too.

There's a third in Istanbul that's a bit more decayed.

to quote a guy I know, "The only connection this has with Grute Piers is that when it was found in 1791, someone said "that's big, it must have belonged to Grute Peirs!"
Very tall and long-hilted sword
I thought that was Donia's sword. My mistake.
Re: Very tall and long-hilted sword
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
I thought that was Donia's sword. My mistake.

It is attributed to him, but that is almost certainly wrong, because of reasons James listed.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: