"headphones" on 15th century helmets
Greetings!

I am in the process of putting together some 15th c. kit for SCA cut-and-thrust. I've noticed that, in a lot of period illustrations, the helms have what look like metal headphones covering the ears. Just dished disks, really. However, I have not seen any modern armorer making helmets with these.

Here's the weird thing: the disks seem to come with various different helmet styles. On some, they appear to protect the hinge-point for the visor. On others, they just seem to be ornamental or supplemental protection.

What's going on here?

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
In this example, the helm in question is at the upper right of the image in the background.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Just simple additional protective rondels. Not on all helms of course but common enough. Bit of handy extra protection, esp if you are in an open face helmet.

Griff
Mark Griffin wrote:
Just simple additional protective rondels. Not on all helms of course but common enough. Bit of handy extra protection, esp if you are in an open face helmet.

Griff
and also perhaps in some cases they might cover joints / hinge points, as seen in the sallet inj the fechtbuch and in the great bascinet

i know it;'s a fairly standard feature in armets to cover the lacing for the wrapper
Helmet's rondells were used anywhere outside Germany and France? They were used from what period, and when they began to come into disuse?
BNF Français 2810, fo.232r, 1400-1420

Attachment: 67.82 KB
[ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: