Saber hilt, latest time period this could exist in?
Hello all,

I got a new saber from Gus trim and was very excited to change the hilt for a knuckle now gaurd however he no longer makes them to be disassembled.

So unless I go custom I'm stuck. This site doesn't do to well from a mobile platform so I can't add an attachment.
Pretty much just picture a slender curves saber with a basic Gus medieval style cross gaurd and wheel pommel!

Could this style be a hussar saber? Does anyone have any pictures or articles showing sabers like this in a later period?

Thank you
Saber hilt, latest time period this could exist in?
Can you show us a photo of this saber for identification?
Linking as it's a very large image:

http://www.kultofathena.com/images%5CAT013_3_l.jpg

That's not the sword in question mind you, but that's more or less the kind of hilt Gus has been doing on his sabers for a long time.

There were a few that he did something like this:

[ Linked Image ]

But he hasn't done those in a long time.

Anyway, the extremely basic cross and pommel aren't very historical for sabers as far as I know. That's the kind of fittings Gus tends to specialize in mostly for efficiency and cost reasons, though.

If your saber is the one I'm thinking of, I'm not sure there's an exact historic match much before the 18th century; he doesn't really do anything with a heavy curve apart from a few interesting scimitars he's been coming out with lately. So IMO a ~18th-19th century hilt would work just fine, perhaps a stirrup hilt like on a 1796 Light Cavalry saber. Bear in mind that whatever hilt you put on it will have to compensate for the weight of the original guard and pommel.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: