Samurai Sword
I have a Samurai Sword that my grandfather gave me and I am interested in finding out what it says. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachment: 148.65 KB
[ Download ]
"Samurai"-Sword
Hello Drew,
the signature reads: wo motte Yasuki ko Asanao Kanezane saku kore
Meaning
wo motte = made with
Yasuki ko = Yasuki Steel
Asano Kanezane = name of the smith
saku kore = made this

The small stamp above the signature bears the character "sho", which means it was made in the Showa period (1926-1989) by the use of non-traditional methods and materials. Non-traditonal means, not made from tamahagane and probably quenced in oil rather than in water. Yasuki steel is rumored to be made in an western style furnance = "modern steel" in contrary to the old style steel made traditionally from iron sand (tamahagane).
The big stamp below the signature is the personal seal of the Smith.
Asano Kanezane is a well known smith, working during WWII. I suggest to google him to find out more.

Nice clear signature and good patination of the tang (nakago). DONT do anything to the rust on the tang!

Greetings
Andreas

PS: so the sword was made during WWII and is no "Samurai Sword" ;-) since the samurai class was abandoned by emperor Mutsuhito in the 1870ties
Re: "Samurai"-Sword
Andreas Bornmann wrote:
Yasuki steel is rumored to be made in an western style furnance = "modern steel" in contrary to the old style steel made traditionally from iron sand (tamahagane).

PS: so the sword was made during WWII and is no "Samurai Sword" ;-) since the samurai class was abandoned by emperor Mutsuhito in the 1870ties
Yasuki steel was a high grade, alternative steel produced to help meet the large demand for suitable sword steel while also giving smiths a cheaper, viable, alternative to tamahagane. Swords made form this steel are not considered to be nihonto (traditionally made) as the steel was not processed using the same method as tamahagane.

Last edited by Eric S on Sat 05 Mar, 2016 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
This forum is great for the breadth and depth of knowledge that gets so freely given. Pleased to have learnt something today!

Griff
Samurai Sword
I guess that the sword Drew's grandfather handed to him is a war trophy surrendered from the Japanese by the end of WWII.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: