Finally learned my lesson about using WD-40 as lubricant
I had read several times about how WD-40 is not suitable to use as blade lubricant but chose to ignore the warnings. Last night I set up a wall display using stick-on picture hooks. Six sword swords placed horizontally above each other. I decided to lubricate them this morning but found myself out of gun oil so decided to use WD-40 until I got some more. It pooled at the base of the blades and trickled down the wall exactly where I'd stuck the right-hand side hooks. The adhesive failed and the lower half of the display collapsed. Thankfully my blades don't appear to have been damaged but still I will take this as an important lesson in heeding the advice of those with more experience!
WD-40 will also turn gummy after a while if left in place, which is another reason it isn't advisable to use it on swords (or firearms). I learned this lesson the hard way with my first shotgun, cleaning that up was not fun. It is also a quite poor rust preventative.
I also used to use gun oil, until I bought some spray on lanolin based stuff. I can't give the name right now, I'm in my work location at the moment (not home). It puts gun oil to shame, both in performance and tenacity. WD40 is really a penetrating oil. Makes stuff come apart, and fall apart. I'm guessing you've already surmised that.....
agreed
As mentioned keep WD-40 well away from firearms and especially ammo, you dont want it getting into your primers.

If you are going to to keep them on the wall mainly for decoration, Renaissance Micro Crystalline Wax comes highly recommended by many folks. I am currently in the process of refurbishing my man cave and intend to mount mine when its completed - and if the wife allows me :)
I'd also say that if you have that much of ANYthing pooling and running down the wall, you may be using a tad too much!

It would be much more secure to screw your hooks (of whatever type) to a pair of wooden uprights, which could then be fixed to the wall in various ways.

Glad nothing was damaged!

Matthew
FLUID-FILM

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: