Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need advice on basic equipment purchase Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ísleifur Helgason

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Need advice on basic equipment purchase         Reply with quote

Greetings, I am new to this forum so let me introduce myself: I am an amateur medieval enthusiast and a recent student of HEMA, from a backwards society in regards to medieval re-enactment activity and swordsmanship.

Proper medieval fighting and arms collecting is virtually none-existent my country, so my friends and i(along with an experienced instructor) are in the process of forming a medieval fight club here(using only medieval protective gear), and probably the first one. Since you seem to be very knowledgeable i would greatly appreciate your advice on the best place or website to buy proper quality protective gear that is both historically accurate and offers good protection against blunt steel long-swords. I have come across many promising websites but i am stuck at a dead end since my expertise are limited, i need expert opinion before i make such a large investment. We will most likely start investing only in gambesons, gauntlets and head protection, maybe chauses and ankle boots aswell, however budget is limited. We will not be sparring full force until we get full body protection, but basic protection will do for now while we practice basic techniques.

The period we are going for would be around the late Middle Ages with a focus on Late 14th and Early 15th century England or Germany.

Regards.
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would not opt for historical correctness in the beginning, it will be much more rewarding to piece together a complete set when you know what you want.

You should invest in a good HEMA fencing mask, and at least padded, but better would be hard gloves. A gorget is also very important. Protecting your elbows and knees is next. Hits on your muscles can hurt, but hits on joints or head are simply dangerous. As you are reacting to one another, you could hit harder than you wish.

Note that historic treatises focus quite heavily on stuff that will disable someone quickly, strokes to the head, stabs to the face, to the throat, strokes to the hand/forearm. These are not easy parts to protect well.
Ísleifur Helgason

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram Verbeek wrote:
I would not opt for historical correctness in the beginning, it will be much more rewarding to piece together a complete set when you know what you want.

You should invest in a good HEMA fencing mask, and at least padded, but better would be hard gloves. A gorget is also very important. Protecting your elbows and knees is next. Hits on your muscles can hurt, but hits on joints or head are simply dangerous. As you are reacting to one another, you could hit harder than you wish.

Note that historic treatises focus quite heavily on stuff that will disable someone quickly, strokes to the head, stabs to the face, to the throat, strokes to the hand/forearm. These are not easy parts to protect well.

We already got some basic HEMA gear except for the expensive SPES gambesons. But our goal is not only HEMA, but fighting in proper historical gear, so as to build up a good quality historically accurate suits of armor piece by piece so we can adjust our technique towards actual armor....and also to look cool Wink.

I also forgot to make a list of the items i want to purchase in my first round:

1. A basicent with a riveted mail coif that can be worn with a greathelm.

2. Steel gauntlets, maby the two-part gauntlets with articulated fingers.

3. A Linen Gambeson(can also be cotton if looks accurate enough) and possibly a linen Pourpoint and linen shirt

4. Chouses

5.Turnshoes or ankleboots, prefferably with a strap to secure plate.

As you can see this list is not small in terms of budget, which is why i need opinion from someone with more experience then myself on where to buy the best stuff.
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on basic equipment purchase         Reply with quote

Historic Enterprises might be worth a look. I have their chausses and their shoes, which aren't showing on the website at the moment. Both are of good quality. They also make a Fiore style coat for HEMA. I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts if anyone has one.
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ísleifur Helgason wrote:
Bram Verbeek wrote:

We already got some basic HEMA gear except for the expensive SPES gambesons. But our goal is not only HEMA, but fighting in proper historical gear, so as to build up a good quality historically accurate suits of armor piece by piece so we can adjust our technique towards actual armor....and also to look cool Wink.

I also forgot to make a list of the items i want to purchase in my first round:

1. A basicent with a riveted mail coif that can be worn with a greathelm.

2. Steel gauntlets, maby the two-part gauntlets with articulated fingers.

3. A Linen Gambeson(can also be cotton if looks accurate enough) and possibly a linen Pourpoint and linen shirt

4. Chouses

5.Turnshoes or ankleboots, prefferably with a strap to secure plate.

As you can see this list is not small in terms of budget, which is why i need opinion from someone with more experience then myself on where to buy the best stuff.

It's not too bad of a period, you'd get away woth more protection then other times. A sallet over a gambeson with jackchains and gauntlets could work, you'd have hosen though, which don't provide padding for the legs (and knees) though I do see quite a few poleyns and greaves. You'd probably want to sneak in that bevor somewhere though (could also be under a kettle hat's aventail and standard).

I'd tailor make a gambeson, it looks a lot better, and is a lot more maneuverable Also quite cheap, if you do so yourself. Really, you have no idea what you're missing if you just grab the nearest synthetic wide sleeved thing with "Gambeson" on the label (which you were not going to do anyway).
Ísleifur Helgason

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on basic equipment purchase         Reply with quote

Ryan Renfro wrote:
Historic Enterprises might be worth a look. I have their chausses and their shoes, which aren't showing on the website at the moment. Both are of good quality. They also make a Fiore style coat for HEMA. I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts if anyone has one.

They don't seem to sell gambesons or complete sets it seems, what's your opinion on revival clothing?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need advice on basic equipment purchase
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic