Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Sheath for Eric McHugh Rondel dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Arms and Armor Sheath for Eric McHugh Rondel dagger         Reply with quote

Hi,
Here is one of my most recent and favorite pieces. I bought the Rondel Dagger made by Eric McHugh from Nathan Robinson a while back. Better pictures of the dagger itself can be found in his retired collection here: http://myArmoury.com/dagg_em_molrondel.html

I was really intrigued by the hollow-ground, trapezoidal blade and the overall lines of the dagger seemed very attractive. When I actually received the dagger, in great shape of course, I was amazed by the size. This is almost more of a short sword in size and weight, and it's a really comfortable, purposeful weapon that feels good in both an underhand and overhand grip. Really nice piece, and I'm happy to have a work by Eric that is I believe very unique and historically based.

Then Nathan and I corresponded about some possible sheath or scabbard ideas. I'm grateful that he sent me several great ideas from various sources. He and I thought a cup-shaped opening would be something very nice for the dagger.

So I talked with Craig Johnson with Arms and Armor who agreed to take the dagger and make a sheath and belt for it. I got it a couple of weeks ago, but have only now been able to take a few pics of it. I don't think they are great work, but hopefully they show some of the great stuff A&A did here. I'm really pleased! Very nice detail on the chape and buckle, but really the standout part is the close fit at the cup end and also the really nice tooling found on the cup and along the sheath.

Hope you enjoy! A&A did a standout job for a great sheath for a great dagger! And thanks again to Eric McHugh for making the dagger and Nathan for helping me get it and all the great information.

Attachment: 140.57 KB
IMG_3003 (640x427).jpg
Full length

Attachment: 138.94 KB
IMG_3013 (427x640).jpg
Alongside some work jeans

Attachment: 149.88 KB
IMG_3005 (640x427).jpg
Closeup of chape and tooling

Attachment: 141.63 KB
IMG_3011 (640x427).jpg
Out of sheath

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Sun 14 Feb, 2016 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few more pics of various details

Attachment: 149.04 KB
IMG_3007 (640x427).jpg
Buckle and Chape

Attachment: 126.38 KB
IMG_3010 (640x427).jpg
The cup, tooling just barely visible

Attachment: 155.59 KB
IMG_3016 (640x427).jpg
Three patterns of tooling along the sheath

Attachment: 107.85 KB
IMG_3018 (640x427).jpg
Close fit, interior type view of cup

Attachment: 110.45 KB
IMG_3020 (640x427).jpg
My favorite picture, shows a bit of tooling and the rondel

Last edited by J. Nicolaysen on Sun 14 Feb, 2016 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love it, man! I love it. Wanna give it back to me, now? haha

Damn that's nice. One of my favorite pieces that I've owned. I have a tendency to sell awesome things to cool people.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Hoard

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That turned out really nice. And - wow - that dagger is huge! You're right - almost more of a sword than dagger. Nice piece.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arms and Armor Sheath for Eric McHugh Rondel dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic