Troll Hunter
May I introduce the latest piece from Me and Petr Fliorianek.....
The blades are mine, all the rest is from the imagination and hand of Petr.
in petr's words....
AS i am sure you know, the Trolls are coming down from hills and they are posing huge danger. Lots of cattle and even free folk are missing and we know they fell prey to vicious eottins. All this is calling for a travelling Trollslayers. The grim folk, equipped with strange knowledge and stranger weapons of trade. The fight with troll is different to killing wild beast but also to fight with human opponent. So the weapon needs to be huge, heavy, but with accute point. Some preffer huge spears, some strangely shaped axes, but the most revered use what they call KNIFE, a huge sax.

The big one, used for slayin is 90 cm long with 59 cm long blade
The blade is 5 bar . wrought at back, with 2 oposed twists made from wrought iron and a low layer 1095 wrought 15n20 mix , there is then a layer of 1050 wollf toothed with the edge 500 layers of the same 1095 wrought 15n20.
[ Linked Image ]

part of the set is a mormal sized sax, used traditionaly for harvesting a token of victory, claw, ear or even a head of especialy formidable troll...
[ Linked Image ]

Here they are together
[ Linked Image ]

some close ups
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

its clad mighty fine too.....leather antler bronze bone garnets.....
[ Linked Image ]

a mighty truss for a very necessary job..
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I hope you like it...
"þa gen sylf cyning
geweold his gewitte, wællseaxe gebræd
biter ond beaduscearp, þæt he on byrnan wæg"

Beautiful.
Poor Trolls
Ah ha.

Thats the reason why all the Trolls are now extinct.
Great story!
Beautiful work, a lot of sense of aesthetics. It's really alive. :)
Those are both great pieces as is the scabbard for it. And as Tomek said a great story to go with them!
Extremely good looking sax!
Utterly spectacular
Saw it earlier someplace else without the story...still think its all great.
Re: Poor Trolls
Paul Ballantyne wrote:
Ah ha.

Thats the reason why all the Trolls are now extinct.

Actually like the way some dinosaurs turned into birds actual Trolls, who used to live under bridges, transformed/devolved into " Internet Trolls " when they got a hold of some laptops and " LEVELLED UP " into a different kind of menace ..... ;) :p :lol: Internet Trolls a less evolved form of Troll. ( This is a risky post as it might attract Trolls .... :\ :p :D ).

By the way the aesthetic of the blade/hilt and scabbard are outstanding: I have a long neglected DIY seax blade project that I eventually plan to make a new handle and handle furniture for, and I think I might steal some of the decorative patterns from this seax. ( Not a problem copying or stealing ideas for a " non-commercial DIY project I think. Not an exact copy of the carvings but very much in the same basic style I think ).
A stunning collaboration between the two of you - well done.

The blades are fabulous and I have certainly seen the larger of the two and it is truly a monstrous blade for a monstrous destiny and Petr has a done a great job bringing blades to life with lovely levels of detail.

Great job all round.

Tod
I love it Owen! You and Petr have really out done yourselves.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: