Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Record of Armour Sales 1881-1924 looking for scan p 153 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Cerjak JL

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: A Record of Armour Sales 1881-1924 looking for scan p 153         Reply with quote

Hello
I would like to find a scan for :
A Record of Armour Sales 1881-1924 FH CRIPPS -DAY specialy for p 153 or the full book scan would be fantastic.
This armour is related in this page.
I hope that a menber could help me to find this book.
Best
Cerjak

Attachment: 61.5 KB
A Record of Armour Sales 1881-1924  looking for scan  p 153.jpg

Attachment: 49.4 KB
[ Download ]
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

**A COMPOSITE GERMAN LIGHT FIELD ARMOUR, PARTLY NUREMBERG, LATE 16TH TO EARLY 17TH CENTURY, WITH LATER ETCHED DECORATION comprising burgonet with rounded one-piece skull slightly boxed at each side and rising to a high file-roped medial comb, projecting forward to an obtusely-pointed peak struck at its centre with the quality-control mark of the City of Nuremberg and three circles in triangular formation, fitted at its flanged lower edge, just beneath a slender tapering plume-holder, with an obtusely-pointed neck-guard of one lame, and at each side with a cheek-piece shaped at its upper front corner to fit over the rear of the peak and flanged outwards at its lower edge to form a continuation of the neck-guard, and pierced at its centre within a raised circular panel decorated with an eight-pointed recessed asterisk with nine small circular auditory holes arranged in rosette-formation; 'Almain' collar formed of three lames front and rear, the lowest front one struck internally with the Nuremberg mark of an N within a circle (the lowest rear one associated), and each side fitted with an integral spaudler, the left formed of seven lames and the right of eight (two of the left and five of the right restored or associated, and one of each patched);

breastplate formed of a medially-ridged main plate fitted at its arm-openings with moveable gussets (the right restored) and at its flanged lower edge with a fauld of three lames of which the lowest is cut at its centre with a shallow arch separating a pair of long pendent tassets each of seven lames extending to just above the knee (the right associated and reworked to match the left and the inner end of three of its lames patched);

backplate formed in one piece with a broad shallow neck-opening and a short flange at the waist; a circular besague (restored) rising slightly to a conical boss at its centre; fingered gauntlets (the right restored) each formed of a long, flared and pointed cuff fitted with a short separate inner plate, five metacarpal-plates, a transversely-roped knuckle-plate, a shaped finger-plate, and scaled finger and thumb-defences, the latter laterally attached by a short leather hinge to the inner end of the last metacarpal-plate, and the whole retaining a fragmentary buff-leather lining-glove; the main edges of the armour turned inward and decorated, except on the backplate, with roping,

the subsidiary edges of the burgonet decorated with pairs of incised lines, and the surface of the armour decorated with bands and borders of later etching consisting for the most part of running foliate scrolls executed on a blackened and stippled ground, but including on the breastplate three coats of arms and on the comb of the burgonet, warriors in combat accompanied by a bear and lion on the right and a scroll bearing the inscription HERCVLA on the left

See note at front of catalogue for information concerning stands Provenance The armour without burgonet, Charassé, rue Bonaparte, Paris, circa 1889 The burgonet, Seymour Hayden, sold F. Muller & Co., Amsterdam, 26 April 1911, lot 219 The armour with burgonet, Dr Bashford Dean, Riverdale, New York, sold American Art Association, New York, 23 November 1928, lot 148 JWHA Inv. No. 610 Exhibited Worcester Art Museum, Massachusetts, 1928-30 Literature F.H. Cripps-Day, A Record of Armour Sales 1881-1924, London, 1925, p.153

Cerjak JL

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Eric
Thank you ,but I already have the auction description when I bought this armour.
Do you have a copy from this book ?
best
Cerjak
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cerjak JL wrote:
Hi Eric
Thank you ,but I already have the auction description when I bought this armour.
Do you have a copy from this book ?
best
Cerjak
Cerjak, I just put up some info for anyone else who might see your post. I do not have anything more than the review, there is at least one copy for sale right now I believe but it is expensive.
Mark Lewis

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Cerjak,
The university library near me has a copy of the book... I'll try to get a photo of this page for you this week, ok? Wink
Cerjak JL

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Mark for your message, but I have just received the copy from this page.
Best

Cerjak

Attachment: 109.79 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Record of Armour Sales 1881-1924 looking for scan p 153
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic