Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Scottish dirk...17th century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Scottish dirk...17th century         Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Here is another early Scottish dirk commission. It's my take on a transitional form. The blade was forged from 5160 tool steel and the grip is boxwood (stained by acid fuming). The blade is 14" with OAL at 19".

I love boxwood for these dirks and in this case the use of the wood is appropriate as this form bears direct relationship to it's dudgeon dagger ancestor. Dudgeon meaning 'boxwood' in Scottish gaelic.

Here I am messing around with a different style of background:

I'd also like to tentatively announce that I'm doing some testing with the idea of attempting an accurate reproduction of the Kirkburn sword. Here is rough and tumble testing to work out the enameling process:

All the iron components will be forged from 19th century wrought iron due to the very low carbon content. So far I'm getting good adhesion of the enamel.. but with some pitting. Working on that. I now have a grip forged and will start putting in the engraving. My plan is to create the hilt using a wooden blade.. and if it goes well and looks right.. well, I will forge a blade. I plan to do a piled medium carbon iron core forged on the bias to display weld lines from tip to guard and steeled iron edge.

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is lovely Scott, lovely work on the carving in particular.

Great piece.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott that is beautiful work. Really like what you did there.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Dirk         Reply with quote

Great to see you still in "the Scottish mode," Scott. I really like the Fraser dirk you made for me several months ago. It has aged nicely and has a very authentic, period feel to it and I really love having it my collection. Especially since the dirk is associated with Simon Frasier, the last Jacobite beheaded after the Rebellion and the chief of Frasier.

Great job of the new dirk!

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirk         Reply with quote

Thanks Lin and Leo... I really enjoy the carving.

GG Osborne wrote:
Great to see you still in "the Scottish mode," Scott. I really like the Fraser dirk you made for me several months ago. It has aged nicely and has a very authentic, period feel to it and I really love having it my collection. Especially since the dirk is associated with Simon Frasier, the last Jacobite beheaded after the Rebellion and the chief of Frasier.

Great job of the new dirk!

Thank you! Oh yes.. many things Scottish coming up. I have an 18th century commission coming up and I'm now fascinated with the earlier 'sgian' belt knives with interlace carving. Glad to know you are happy with yours. That was tough carving in that old, splitery oak. The boxwood takes such nice detail. I just got a hold of some 'briar root burl' that I'm going use for a dirk handle. I have a reference from Vince Evans saying that many of the old pieces were from that particular wood...

http://www.bigrockforge.com
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great job as always Scott.
Éirinn go Brách

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Scottish dirk...17th century
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic