Scottish dirk...17th century
Hi everybody,

Here is another early Scottish dirk commission. It's my take on a transitional form. The blade was forged from 5160 tool steel and the grip is boxwood (stained by acid fuming). The blade is 14" with OAL at 19".

I love boxwood for these dirks and in this case the use of the wood is appropriate as this form bears direct relationship to it's dudgeon dagger ancestor. Dudgeon meaning 'boxwood' in Scottish gaelic.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Here I am messing around with a different style of background:

[ Linked Image ]

I'd also like to tentatively announce that I'm doing some testing with the idea of attempting an accurate reproduction of the Kirkburn sword. Here is rough and tumble testing to work out the enameling process:

[ Linked Image ]

All the iron components will be forged from 19th century wrought iron due to the very low carbon content. So far I'm getting good adhesion of the enamel.. but with some pitting. Working on that. I now have a grip forged and will start putting in the engraving. My plan is to create the hilt using a wooden blade.. and if it goes well and looks right.. well, I will forge a blade. I plan to do a piled medium carbon iron core forged on the bias to display weld lines from tip to guard and steeled iron edge.
That is lovely Scott, lovely work on the carving in particular.

Great piece.

Tod
Scott that is beautiful work. Really like what you did there.
Dirk
Great to see you still in "the Scottish mode," Scott. I really like the Fraser dirk you made for me several months ago. It has aged nicely and has a very authentic, period feel to it and I really love having it my collection. Especially since the dirk is associated with Simon Frasier, the last Jacobite beheaded after the Rebellion and the chief of Frasier.

Great job of the new dirk!
Re: Dirk
Thanks Lin and Leo... I really enjoy the carving.

GG Osborne wrote:
Great to see you still in "the Scottish mode," Scott. I really like the Fraser dirk you made for me several months ago. It has aged nicely and has a very authentic, period feel to it and I really love having it my collection. Especially since the dirk is associated with Simon Frasier, the last Jacobite beheaded after the Rebellion and the chief of Frasier.

Great job of the new dirk!

Thank you! Oh yes.. many things Scottish coming up. I have an 18th century commission coming up and I'm now fascinated with the earlier 'sgian' belt knives with interlace carving. Glad to know you are happy with yours. That was tough carving in that old, splitery oak. The boxwood takes such nice detail. I just got a hold of some 'briar root burl' that I'm going use for a dirk handle. I have a reference from Vince Evans saying that many of the old pieces were from that particular wood...
Great job as always Scott.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: