Common Irish sword types between 10th and 16th century
I was curious as to what types of swords were historically accurate and commonly used in Ireland between the 10th and 16th century. I know that pre Viking the swords were Roman-esque, and the la tene blades. I'm more curious about the centuries I have specified.

I'm guessing the 10th century the Irish would have adopted the type X due to the Viking influence.
And pictures I have found lead me to believe the Type XIX usually with open ring hilts were also common. The type XIX was something seen in Spain and the Irish have a genetic and political connection to Spain as well.

I saw some reproduction blades with type XVIII profiles but I wasn't sure if that were accurate.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can give me other blade profile examples that were common.
My understanding is that the ring hilt, while distinctive, is a late period style (but I could certainly be wrong). In general they would have used largely the same styles as the rest of Western Europe, with a few decades' lag to allow for their distance from the rest of civilization, so you would have seen older styles of sword being used alongside a few more modern blades. Also, they never really went in for plate armour on a large scale from what I recall-- fabric and mail protection being more common their style-- so cutting blades hung on for much longer.
Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
My understanding is that the ring hilt, while distinctive, is a late period style (but I could certainly be wrong). In general they would have used largely the same styles as the rest of Western Europe

I agree with what Jeffrey has said here. One other localized feature of interest is the use of what are probably better known as a Scottish style of sword, with distinctive spatulate quillons - proto-claymores essentially.

An article titled Irish Medieval Swords c. 1170-1600 by Andrew Halpin may be of interest to you; it describes a number of archeological finds covering the whole time period, and illustrates a fairly clear progression from conventional European styles, to the Scottish-influenced style, then finally the ring-hilts.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/25506140?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: