Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Flat or round rings for riveted mail? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas R-W

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Flat or round rings for riveted mail?         Reply with quote

I'm starting a project to make a haubergeon of riveted mail and wanted to ask some people if it would be better to have completely flattened rings or rings that are only flattened on the overlap. I think it may be harder to only flatten the one portion but I have heard from some that fully flattened rings are less historically accurate. Thanks in advance for any and all answers on the topic. Also if anyone could suggest a method for cutting the rings without modifying a set of wire cutters?
~Thorill
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat or round rings for riveted mail?         Reply with quote

Thomas R-W wrote:
I'm starting a project to make a haubergeon of riveted mail and wanted to ask some people if it would be better to have completely flattened rings or rings that are only flattened on the overlap. I think it may be harder to only flatten the one portion but I have heard from some that fully flattened rings are less historically accurate. Thanks in advance for any and all answers on the topic. Also if anyone could suggest a method for cutting the rings without modifying a set of wire cutters?

Better in what way? If you're aiming for historic accuracy, it depends on the time frame. If you're asking which is easier to pierce for riveting, you get a different answer. If your definition of better is using the fewest steps, you get a third answer.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Thomas R-W

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jan, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat or round rings for riveted mail?         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:

Better in what way? If you're aiming for historic accuracy, it depends on the time frame. If you're asking which is easier to pierce for riveting, you get a different answer. If your definition of better is using the fewest steps, you get a third answer.

Then I guess I'll hear all three answers.

~Thorill

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Flat or round rings for riveted mail?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic