Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hilt part makers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben Coomer

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Hilt part makers         Reply with quote

So, I saw that Yeshua's isn't doing hilt parts anymore. So is there anyone doing European style crossguards and pommels around now?

Thanks.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darksword Armoury in Canada will sell their hilt parts for around $25-35. Not sure how shipping works. They're OK-- cast mild steel, from what I recall. How historical they may be is rather another story.

EDIT: And of course you may have objections to purchasing from Darksword if you're familiar with the long-standing drama regarding their business practices here and on the SBG forum.

In that case, I'm honestly not sure. Albion may still have a few odd fittings left from their Moat Sale. Leo Todeschini does make fittings, though mostly for daggers and such, I think. Christian Fletcher, if you want to go posh. A few smiths will make fittings, though they might prefer to make the whole package for you. If you want some simple fittings, you could consider contacting Wes Beem of Lonely Wolf Forge, he does decent work.
Jonathan Fletcher

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A&A have been very helpful in the past and extremely reasonable prices for hilt parts from their sword range.
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hate to say this.... for the most part? NO. No one will sell components.

You MIGHT get lucky with Medieval Fight Club out of Australia. But all they have is Brass - no steel.

I've TRIED to get Kult of Athena to stock STEEL parts - so far, no luck. Yet we have multiple sword MFGS getting these parts from China.

Sadly - here is the deal. The day someone sells guards & pommels? You may buy a bare blade, then build a sword for FAR LESS than one that is sold to you. "Part" folks will loose serious money, unless they sell at a premium price -most of these being custom "one offs". Don't get me wrong - customs are generally of exceptionally high quality.

The consumer market? Welllllllll... , the sword MFGS have pretty much formed a closed cartel, insuring that you will not be able to buy "parts". There are some exceptions - but they are few.

(Edit) - something that MIGHT help....

As no one will actually sell guards, pommels, and chapes - consider buying a decent EBAY SS wallhanger with STEEL components. On receipt? Strip it, throw the blade away, and loot it for parts. I've done this a few times Happy.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
Jonathan Fletcher

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
There are some exceptions - but they are few

A&A being one of them.

Unless I am a special case, but I doubt it. I have a very handsome blued Black Prince Sword hilt set from A&A, waiting for the right blade to come along. I have also been given a price for the hilt from their English two-handed sword to mount onto a blade that I do have; just haven't decided yet whether I want to use that hilt or have one custom made in a different style.

I won't state any prices but can say that they are very reasonable for a quality product. And A&A are a pleasure to do business with.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hilt part makers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic