Urs Velunt Zweihänder
Hey,

I've developed a crush for danish greatswords a while ago and have been looking to buy one. Unfortunately, the Albion one is way out of my price range. Recently i stumbled upon this one made by Urs Velunt (Haller): http://www.ritterladen.de/Waffen-Ruestung/And...elunt.html
So now I'm wondering if it is worth buying. Does any of you have any experience with this sword?

Cheers :)
Urs Velunt Zweihänder
[ Linked Image ]
I haven't held this Zweihänder yet.
No experience with it, but at over 5 feet long, and more than 6.5lbs, this would seem to be less a sword and more a "sword like object". The Albion example is about 4" shorter and more than 2lbs lighter - still a hefty sword, but likely manageable. The proportions of the sword in your link suggest it would be more of a ceremonial piece. Then again, I haven't handled it, or any sword approaching its proportions, so I may be mistaken - the balance may be so good that it handles like a dream - but if I were using it for personal defense, I suspect I'd have to use it more like a pole-arm (thinking along the lines of a glaive or similar weapon), with a hand on the grip and a hand on the extended ricasso, but still wouldn't expect great handling and a swift recovery. While I believe this fighting style may have been the original intent for a sword of this type, the stats still seem to suggest it's overbuilt.

Hopefully you'll find someone with hands-on experience, but it seems to me this object would be a bit unwieldy and not the most accurate representation of the type.

As always, I'm happy to be shown I'm wrong and learn something new in the process.
6.5lbs, no, that is still on the lighter side for a two hander, (historically) and almost right in the butter zone. any two handed sword, reproduction or other wise, dances around the weights of 6-8-10lbs 10 borders on a bearing sword.
2 handers
Hello
I have the privilege of being the owner of the Zweihander that is on the Arms-n-Armor website.It weighs in at slightly less than 7 pounds but is very quick and responsive in the hands.
I would think that would probably be on the high end of the scale for combat weapons.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: