Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio/Midwest Area Round Table Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
This has to be about the biggest discount I've seen Albion offer.

If you're in the area and on the fence about ordering something, definitely the perfect excuse.

BTW...do you have any idea what will be there yet? If you do maybe a list should get posted to this thread so people will know what they wil get to see/handle. I'll have my Regent with CF longsword scabbard (I believe it the black rig pictured on his website) and my Landgraf.

Yeah, the discount is great. Anyone in the area planning to buy an Albion sword this year should think about showing up. Happy Thanks to the Albion folks!

As for the list, I'm not sure yet, since it depends on what they can lide in between outstanding orders. For sure we'll have:

Baron (mine)
Sovereign (mine)
Jarl (Nate)
Regent (Joe)
Landgraf (Joe)
Viceroy (Doug - Maybe)

15 percent, huh? Suddenly, the Fiore is looking very tempting. Sure would go good with the Poitiers I already ordered. Wink
Chad, I'll bring some of my toys as well: Acre type XII, Celtic LaTene II, Pompeii Gladius, and my Del Tin St. Maurice-Vienna (purchased from Albion). Somebody, don't remember who, expressed an interest in seeing my Arms&Armor 'Black Prince' so I'll bring that too if that's cool. Pool noodles are a quite rare in Ohio during the winter. I live close to a Target store; I'll check there for noodles. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:

15 percent, huh? Suddenly, the Fiore is looking very tempting. Sure would go good with the Poitiers I already ordered. Wink
Chad, I'll bring some of my toys as well: Acre type XII, Celtic LaTene II, Pompeii Gladius, and my Del Tin St. Maurice-Vienna (purchased from Albion). Somebody, don't remember who, expressed an interest in seeing my Arms&Armor 'Black Prince' so I'll bring that too if that's cool. Pool noodles are a quite rare in Ohio during the winter. I live close to a Target store; I'll check there for noodles. -Ted

Yep. 15% off orders placed that day. 10% off any order placed in the 2 weeks following the party. You know you want to place an order.... Happy

As for noodles, I found several WalMarts that have them, though sometimes they're in the storeroom.

Bring along whatever you want to show off. I'll send out more info in a week or so.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lets see now.

I think that makes...

...the Sherriff $501.50 (list $590)! Eek!
...the Ringeck $488.75 (list $575)! Eek!
...the Fiore $493 (list $580)! Eek!
...the Earl $765 (list $900)! Eek!
...the current German II $833 (list $980)! Eek!

Unless I did some of the math wrong.

Since I have a credit to use (I did not win anything), and some bonus type stuff from work to use (can't cash it out), its starting to look like I may get to buy something this year after all.

Now to choose. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 10 Mar, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
This is another public call for people interested in attending who haven't already contacted me. If you'd like an invite, please email or PM me and I'll get one out to you.

Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I just sent an email to all the yes's and maybe's for Saturday's party. If you didn't receive it, please let me know.

If anyone out there who wants to come hasn't contacted me, please do so. Happy

Also, people have graciously offered to bring food and drinks. I had been turning those requests down, but I may have changed my mind. Happy I was planning on providing everything, but if people have a burning desire to bring something, let me know. I won't turn down generosity twice. Cool Thanks, everyone!

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the list of non-human attendees:

Hersir

Jarl

Norman

Templar

Ritter

Sovereign

Solingen:

Squire

Prince

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Tue 15 Mar, 2005 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And the longswords:

Baron

Duke

Landgraf

Regent

Viceroy

13th C Great Sword (sharp)

Happy

ChadA

Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Viceroy         Reply with quote

So Chad,

Did you just get those pics from Albion? In other words, is that MY Viceroy?

I haven't seen it yet, so inquiring minds want to know!

--Doug

Doug Gardner
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey gents. I have 2 wooden longswords I got from Purpleheart Armoury a couple months ago. If weather allows, we could show-and-tell some techniques without having to grip sharpened blades with our bare hands. Or maybe have 'duels of honor!' Big Grin Just a thought.

Can't wait to see that Baron !!
-Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Viceroy         Reply with quote

Doug Gardner wrote:
So Chad,

Did you just get those pics from Albion? In other words, is that MY Viceroy?

I haven't seen it yet, so inquiring minds want to know!

--Doug

Doug,
Those pics are off Albion's site, except for the Sovereign. But yes, your Viceroy will be in the box. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Hey gents. I have 2 wooden longswords I got from Purpleheart Armoury a couple months ago. If weather allows, we could show-and-tell some techniques without having to grip sharpened blades with our bare hands. Or maybe have 'duels of honor!' Big Grin Just a thought.

Can't wait to see that Baron !!
-Ted

Ted,
The weather looks to be cold and possibly rainy: high of 46 with a 30% chance of rain/snow showers.

We'll probably just have to hang out inside. Worried

Happy

ChadA

David Kite

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well. . . all you softies may have to hang out inside. . . . Wink

Those of us with wasters and personal swords may get some action out of doors. Unless certain significant others would get really really angry at having the lawn torn up by people slipping in the mud.

David Kite
ARMA in IN
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Mar, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kite wrote:
Well. . . all you softies may have to hang out inside. . . . Wink

Those of us with wasters and personal swords may get some action out of doors. Unless certain significant others would get really really angry at having the lawn torn up by people slipping in the mud.

David Kite
ARMA in IN

The lawn may be dangerous and slippery (it collects water in spots), so that may not be a good idea.

Also, I totally forgot your Solingen, David. I edited the post above to include a pic.

Happy

ChadA

Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All right, good line-up. I'm looking forward to seeing the Hersir, as I was really going back and forth between that one and my current Jarl. Also it will be nice to see the Norman, as we have had its bigger sister the Gaddhjalt a couple of times. The Solingen will also be a nice one to see, and it's always nice to visit Joe's Regent....

So many toys!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:

So many toys!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

My only problem with what we'll have is that it's too many swords for my display stand to handle. Oh well, we'll have to make do. Happy Right now, we'll have 15 swords, which is more than one per person.

We'll also have chips, soft drinks, iced tea, a veggie tray, some fruit, a pot of vegetarian chili (thanks, Doug!), and some chocolate chip cookies.

And don't forget:

Quote:
Albion has agreed to extend special party-only pricing to people who attend the Round Table on March 19th.

Take 15% off any Albion Mark Next Generation Sword ordered the day of the party. Or take 10% off any Next Generation sword ordered between March 20 and April 1st.

Remember that payment plans are available to qualified customers. I'll take down basic order information at the party and have Mike get in touch with you for details.

Happy

ChadA

Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Viceroy has arrived         Reply with quote

The Viceroy arrived yesterday, just as Mike promised. The cork was firmly planted on the pointy end and UPS did no damage that I can see. Wink

Given that tomorrow it will be seen by much more knowledgable people than I, I'll refrain from any half-baked analysis. I look forward to sharing, as well as seeing those others.

Until then...

--Doug

PS: I'll also bring a few more toys, for anyone interested. I have a fencing sabre I picked up in an antique store about 20 years ago I'm very curious about, as well as an Albion 1st gen Stamford Viking and a Massey/Albion Anthropormorphic Leafblade. Nathan, I understand you also have one of these. It might be interesting to compare them?

Doug Gardner
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All of us here hope you guys have a great time this weekend. Big Grin
Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Sigman wrote:
All of us here hope you guys have a great time this weekend. Big Grin

You cannot begin to imagine how much I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks Chad. Big Grin

Thanks Mike. Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeff Ellis

PostPosted: Sat 19 Mar, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Ohio Gathering         Reply with quote

Chad, thanks for having the gathering.

i got to see Albion's swords up close, and i must say the pictures on the albion site do not do them justice.

And thanks to the ARMA guys for not killing me on the spot for the comment i made a few years ago. i've learned from ym mistake and look forward to going to the seminar david suggested i go to next month.

thank you again.

"i like swords"
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Overall a nice afternoon, although the rain did cancel the test cutting portion of the event. I'll try to post some pictures later today, right now I just finished another edit on a big paper I have due Monday, and I really need to get some rest. It was good to see so many of the folks who have become regulars at these again. It was also nice to meet some new people.

Some general observations.

1) The Squire Line 13th Century is real impressive for something marketed as an entry piece. Frankly, I'd be concerned that it will canabalize sales from some of the similar swords in the NG line. For a rougher finish, its still finished pretty darn well.

2) Viceroy is a very interesting sword in person. Very distinct.

3) We have to get Chad a bigger house if these things are going to keep growing.

4) Albion has obviously been very busy getting new materials around for these events. Some of it is pretty innovative.

5) It seemed like quite a bit of stuff got ordered this time, so something must be right in the mix.

6) Shane has a really cool wife. Not only does she come with him to these things, she bought him an A&A Town Guard sword for their anniversary. How cool is that?

7) The A&A Town Guard is neat. It is absolutely not what I expected, in a very good way. Its one of those swords you really have to see/hold in person, and visualize in the context of the time/theme, to appreciate it. The Townguard may just be one of the most unique production pieces I've seen.

8) Questions, Questions, Questions. I have to call Mike on Monday!!

9) There definitely is interst in steel WMA training tools. Informal discussion among the few practitionars at this round table seems to indicate that price point will be a key to market adoption. Essentially, the current options are percieved as uncomfortably pricey to use up. Maybe not a valid concern, but one that is out there and should perhaps be considered by those looking to sell in this niche. Quantity dicounts might drive sales in this area as well since it takes at least two to spar.

10) The Earl is mine...really. Now I just have to figure out how I finish paying for it when mine gets done. Oxblod this time instead of black.

11) Unless I'm mistaken, I think two Regents got ordered as well. Guess its a popular type.

12) I believe somebody also ordered a mercenary

13) I'm finding it hard to resist that Fiore

14) Ditto on the Ringek. Although looming tuition payments make resisting easier.

15) Good morning anf goodnight for me!!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ohio/Midwest Area Round Table
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: