Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2016? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Marcus Newton

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only thing that I currently have planned is a custom Irish skean (?) that I am in talks with a blacksmith about right now. We are however still in the research phase....so if anyone has some good links for info that would be much appreciated Big Grin !
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Custom hanger/cutlass from forumite Tim Harris.
William D. Stuber

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wishlist for 2016 is a scabbard for the Albion Crecy that should arrive tomorrow, a gambeson or other fabric armor, a custom blade for an M1913 Patton sword project, Hanwei Kaeru Wakizashi, and to complete my Albion moat sale blade project. Not all of that will happen of course, but I can dream.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again, as I mentioned for last year, I plan on getting nothing.

For real this time.

I mean it.

Seriously, I do....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
William D. Stuber

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
Again, as I mentioned for last year, I plan on getting nothing.

For real this time.

I mean it.

Seriously, I do....

Haha, I said that last year about firearms. By the end of January I had 4 new additions.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My 2016 list? I went to the junkyard and got everything that I will need for 2016 for 10 bucks. Gonna make lots of stuff in 2016.

If I'm lucky, I'll get some black coal for Christmas.

Attachment: 175.95 KB
10636786_1083778958332823_7352355640452039548_o.jpg

Leelund K

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry, if you wanted black coal for Christmas, you should've stayed on Santa's naughty list. That's traditionally what he gives out! Hope it works out for you!
Dean Motoyama

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Currently looking for a set of padded (not too thick - one layer) chausses; should be able to attain these in the first part of the New Year. Later down the line, possibly plate sabatons, although I have a lot of left over butted ring mail I might make use of for foot protection. A more expensive item that also might make a 2016 appearance could be a new bascinet or other sort of helm. I'm happy with what I got late in 2015 though Happy Happy New Year! Dean
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Bike tech is changing so this is probably a year for non-cycling hobbies like this one. Figure that I might have to get a CZ Carbine if that counts here. Looks to be a sweet and easy home defense gun that my wife could learn to handle.

Swords and such though:

1) Would like to come up with an Albion Squire (second hand) but they seem to be going for just a bit much yet
2) Anything else Albion or A&A that comes up second hand cheap
3) Watching the Euro to see what central bank actions do. If the dollar goes up enough there might be some options from Lutel, Arma Bohemia or White Rose that have not been utter bargains for more than a decade!!
4) Soft kit (really need some decent boots)

Revised this a bit. Valiant Armoury was having a Christmas sale. Some of their stuff I had several years ago (3+) was pretty nice. Quite a bit of it now looks better so we'll see if appearance reflect reality soon enough. Depending on what the Va stuff comes in like I might even clear what remains of my Albion stuff out. So, anyway, the new list...

1) Receive the VA-201 Campaigner Christmas Sale sword and evaluate its ability to address all of my needs
2) If VA-201 sword meets all needs determine whether I keep any Albions and if I sell secure VA-132-SE Crecy and VA-103-SE Norseman
2a) Evaluate VA-179 War Sword for consideration
3) Watch the Euro to see what central bank actions do - a rising dollar may create options
4) Soft kit (really need some decent boots)

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Didn't see this thead. I guess I haven't been logging in frequently-enough.

Anyway, I am currently trying to formulate some long-term plans to commission a set of 3 or 4 blades:

1) A XVIIIa/b Great/War Sword. The pieces recently made by Lukas MG have really made an impression on me- I love proportions that are mighty and bold, yet still long and elegant. I'm currently sketching out ideas for an S-curved cross with an ecusson at the center, or a rain guard. Blade would be about a meter long, a good 2" wide at the cross, and feature a stepped grip similar to that of the "Munich" XVIIIb.

2) An XVIIIb Bastard Sword. This would be a slimmer blade with a short ricasso and a 4-ring hilt (one on each side of the cross, another pair atop the finger rings). The grip would still be stepped, but of a shorter, "hand-and-a-half" length.

3) A large Bauernwehr/Rugger, or possibly a short sword along the lines of a Degen or Katzbalger.

4) A Main Gauche type of dagger, possibly with a ring on one side of the cross. This would be a companion to the bastard sword.

I would want some sort of "family resemblance" between all four blades, be it a pommel detail, grip tooling pattern, etc. The idea is to develop some sort of "matched set" for a hypothetical German knight. Blades 1 and 3 would accompany him on the battlefield (both as backup to his trusty polearms, of course), whereas blades 2 and 4 would be his trusty companions on the mean streets of Bavaria or Saxony.

This is definitely going to be long-term, and might take a few years to see fruition, but I would at least like to get at least one swordsmith on board with the idea, and an initial down-payment put together this year. I've been in the sword hobby for over 16 years now- it's about time I start considering something special.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's On Your List For 2016?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: