Thick walled antler?
Hi All,

I have struck a blank looking for an antler that has a nice thick wall for use on knife handles.

I used to use Sambar which was great and cheap, but that is no longer available and red deer is hard to get easily in larger pieces and other types are hard to get in any form in the UK.

What can I buy and where can I buy it? Any leads would be welcome.

Tod
Moscow Hide & Fur?
http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Antlers.h...AiQD8P8HAQ

American elk is also sold for dog chews. IIRC our moose is your elk.
Highland Horn,
;)
It might be an irregular source, but I would check out ebay.uk.

Here is a large collection of antlers for 89 pounds.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-29-ROE-DEER-...Swf-VWbvwd

I hope that's helpful. I'm a big fan of your work by the way.
Yup, red from Highland Horn.

Not the cheapest but then, since people discovered that you could sell bits of antler on Ebay for dog-chews, the price has gone up.
American elk has very nice, thick-walled antlers. Eurasian elk (moose in North America) has a "palm" on the antler that has a very thin wall, and for the most part only the stem/crown area has a wall thick enough for most work. I believe caribou, aka reindeer, have a nice thick antler as well. If you are looking for or don't mind using smaller pieces, pretty much any of the smaller deer have antlers with thick walls.

Hope that helps,
Alan
Quote:
I believe caribou, aka reindeer, have a nice thick antler as well.

Yes, caribou/reindeer antlers have a nice thick wall, and have a long history of craft use. Axis deer/chital/spotted deer antlers are as solid as sambar but not as heavily textured, and I would think ideal for us cutlers... I've been hunting for a good source other than ebay.

I should add, in my experience, elk, whitetail, and roe deer antlers have a very thick pithy section, and would not be ideal for your use, IMO.
Hi Leo.
Have you asked Robert Moc He might know after all he supplied me with meteorite and walrus ivory
Thick walled antler?
Antlers can be quite ideal for storing swords just like racks. ;)
[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: