Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you secure your swords and other arms? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: How do you secure your swords and other arms?         Reply with quote

Hi guys how do you guys store or secure your items? I was a firearms collector at one point and as such invested in second hand commercial safes( a lot better than so called gunsafes which are actually just lightweight boxes). Now it will be just swords and blades.

I wondered if people out there secure their arms and armor some way in the home or just store it generally- or even display it on walls etc?

Last edited by Michael Brudon on Tue 15 Dec, 2015 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Today's "high crime environment" is actually at a very low point, while media coverage of crime may be increased, crime itself has been on a steady decline for quite some time.

I only have a single sword, but some helmets, shields, armour pieces a bayonet and a byrnie, I just display the ones I like best in my living room.
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you have to lock your house up and /or set alarms its still high. We never locked our houses growing up in the here in the 80's, no one had heard of a home alarm. If crime drops to 1960's levels again I will probably consider changing my definition Happy

Last edited by Michael Brudon on Tue 15 Dec, 2015 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Brudon wrote:
If you have to lock your house up and /or set alarms its a high crime environment.You are basically protecting belonging to the level of a bank. We never locked our houses growing up in the here in the 80's, no one had heard of alarms. When crime drops to 1960's levels again I will probably consider the enviroment changed enough to change the definition Happy

That would be five years ago:

There was still a decline the last five years, and total property crime rate had already reached the late 60s in 2010. Not that it is unwise to lock your door, but the panic that some people have seems unwarranted.

I did forget something, I secured the sharp things to the wall to prevent children and inebriated guests to take them off and hurt themselves. I do not live in the best neigborhood of the city (it actually has quite a bad reputation) with the highest or second highest crime rate (Rotterdam swiches back and forth with Eindhoven) in the Netherlands, but I am much more worried about people hurting themselves or others than I am of losing stuff to crime.
Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to live in the netherlands then. If your country has better crime now than 1969 I take it you guys don't clock up many drivebys, home invasion/assaults/rapes, hard drug crime or robbery related homicides WTF?!

But anyway, I've changed the thread title to be less confusing to folks and get it back on track Happy
Tom King

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A good homeowners insurance policy/renters insurance and proper documentation, but out of every valuable item in my home I'd be concerned about my swords the least if a thief was my house. I have $200 TV next to a $500 sword but if I came home with my window smashed out I know which one would be missing. Besides your average criminal not knowing your wall decoration is an albion, fencing such and item is a bit more difficult than waiting 3 months and selling it on a different counties craigslist page. Not saying "thats cool" isn't enough of a reason for it to disappear with your electronics, but personally I'd display it normally and add it to the pile of things to be pissed off about getting stolen if your house was cleared out when you use the insurance check to reorder a few Albions Laughing Out Loud
Michael S. Rivet

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I had locking display cabinets built. Won't stop a determined burglar with a screwdriver or crowbar but it protects the cats from their own curiosity. It also protects the swords from people who think it's badass to run their thumbs over the edges and comment about the sharpness.
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Brudon wrote:
I'd love to live in the netherlands then. If your country has better crime now than 1969 I take it you guys don't clock up many drivebys, home invasion/assaults/rapes, hard drug crime or robbery related homicides WTF?!

But anyway, I've changed the thread title to be less confusing to folks and get it back on track Happy

The quoted graph is for the US, not the Netherlands, it is only about property crime (like theft, this was relevant to the thread). Good news does not sell as well as bad news, so you don't really hear much about it in news channels. A politician saying things are looking up in the crime world will be distrusted by the populace (due to media coverage, and distrust by the populace will probably make him an ex-politician), and shouted at by the police (who will fear that their ever-expanding budget and mandate may be halted), so they won't have much incentive to speak up about it.

As for the topic, If I had some of the more exotic weapons, which would be more expensive, I would consider a museum display case, they have the same considerations you would have.
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram Verbeek wrote:
Michael Brudon wrote:

The quoted graph is for the US, not the Netherlands, it is only about property crime (like theft, this was relevant to the thread). Good news does not sell as well as bad news, so you don't really hear much about it in news channels. A politician saying things are looking up in the crime world will be distrusted by the populace (due to media coverage, and distrust by the populace will probably make him an ex-politician), and shouted at by the police (who will fear that their ever-expanding budget and mandate may be halted), so they won't have much incentive to speak up about it.

As for the topic, If I had some of the more exotic weapons, which would be more expensive, I would consider a museum display case, they have the same considerations you would have.

Michael Brudon

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram Verbeek wrote:
Michael Brudon wrote:

Crime statistics meh.In Australia our homicide rate dropped through the 90's and 2000's and our police were touting this is a great success until someone suggested a drop in deaths coincided with creation of the paramedic, so more assaults , just more surviving to hospital. Also they determined growing gang related crime/numbers of ethnics/immigrants living in areas not wanting to include or not confident of the police( which also translates to black/hispanic situation in the US) were far less likely to report crime. That pretty much sewed up property crime drops as well.

You can make statistics do whatever you need if the reader is at the IQ level that takes things at face value. Unfortunately that is too much of the population. Which is why Australia currently has lobby groups with statistics showing daggers or two edged blades are a danger to society. Our politicians are starting to listen to that crap as well and no doubt the average guy will swallow whatever law they come up with in relation to it.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you secure your swords and other arms?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic