DIY: Moat Sword
Here is what I've done with an Albion Moat Sale blade. Hope you enjoy!

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Stunning and subtle. Congratulations on some fine work!

-Gregory
The cross guard and pommel look like they are made of wood - how is the hilt furniture attached to the tang, being wood and all???
Love to know,
Cheers,
Mike
Thanks guys! Mike, the fittings are wrought iron, browned.
That's really nice! Well done.
Hi P Ullrich.
That re hilted moat blade looks fantastic like the whole package congratulations on an fine job
That is very nicely done indeed. I like the how you did the guard and pommel. They go nicely with the blade. I am also really digging the grip. Did you seal it in anyway or rub something like linseed oil on it?
Thanks everyone! Scott, the handle is treated with linseed oil. I repeatedly rub the oil in, let it dry well, then repeat. Do it about once a day, then once a week, for as long as choose. In fact I'm still rubbing some in weekly :D
[ Linked Image ]
This Moat sword looks more like a Viking or Migration period sword to me. And by the way, I really appreciate the engraving on its hilt. ;)
I believe that is a Type X blade from the Albion Moat Sale Shahril so you would be correct when stating that it looks like a Viking or Migration era blade.

Thank you for the information on how you did the grip P. Once again a great looking project!
I do have one more question. Is the guard folded? As I swear that I can see layers in the cross section.
A truly stunning sword really, fantastic work!
Scott Kowalski wrote:

I do have one more question. Is the guard folded? As I swear that I can see layers in the cross section.

Scott I think that wrought iron typically shows grain and textures based on how it is made. No folding done on my part.
Very nice! Did you keep some of the pitting on the blade apparent on purpose to match the "antique" look of the guard and pommel?

I find that most moat blades, even quiet rusted, clean up rather easily back to spotless satin (with some degree of effort and sandpaper of course :)

Very neat sword.
Julien M wrote:
Very nice! Did you keep some of the pitting on the blade apparent on purpose to match the "antique" look of the guard and pommel?

I find that most moat blades, even quiet rusted, clean up rather easily back to spotless satin (with some degree of effort and sandpaper of course :)

Thank Julien. Pitting was too extensive for me to be confident about removing steel without compromising the fuller and other lines. These pics show it a little better, after scrubbing and before.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
That is really beautiful. I love what you did and the fittings are top notch.

Thank you for posting
Pictures says it all, never had a moat that corroded before - Nice job on cleaning it up. I think it matches the look of the hilt very well.
I have 1 question regarding this sword:
Has it been tested yet?
Re: DIY: Moat Sword
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
I have 1 question regarding this sword:
Has it been tested yet?

I've swing it at nothing yet. Still needs sharpening.....

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: