Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Does anyone have images of this armour? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Didrik L.H Rossbach

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Does anyone have images of this armour?         Reply with quote

Hi i found this armour and fell in love with it. but with tis armor I have only found around 5 photos of this armour ( I will link all Pictures below).
Can anybody help me? Does anybody know it's current location/owner?

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/rare-ar...92eb3a064f
(In the background)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/roelipilami/6553873447/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/roelipilami/6548991817/in/photostream/
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As an example of an armour made up of disparate bits its fine, but the assemblage is a bit of a mish-mash. The individual bits are nice enough but its unlikely that ever existed outside an armour sellers house mid 19th cent onwards. You'd have to contact the auctioneers to see where it went after the sale but its unlikely they will tell you :-(
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
James Moore

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Griffin wrote:
As an example of an armour made up of disparate bits its fine, but the assemblage is a bit of a mish-mash. The individual bits are nice enough but its unlikely that ever existed outside an armour sellers house mid 19th cent onwards. You'd have to contact the auctioneers to see where it went after the sale but its unlikely they will tell you :-(

I'm afraid there, I'm going to say you're completely wrong, Mark.

It is noted in the description that the harness is completely homogeneous except for the right tasset and the finger lames which are later replacements. Its marked throughout with the same maker's marks (HH and AH, Hans and Anton Hörburger. Furthermore every single element is decorated in exactly the same way (a dot-and-scallop motif with roping on the rolled edges)

Calling it "an armour made up of disparate bits" and a "mish-mash" is utterly wrong.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could look at these, if you can find them or get copies through ILL;

Literature :
DEAN, Bashford, The Collection of Arms and Armor of Rutherfurd Stuyvesant, 1914, No. 15, pp. 20-21, pl.10.
THOMAS, Bruno, Die Innsbrucker Plattnerkunst, ein Nachtrag, in the Jahrbuch der Kunsthistorischen Sammlungen in Wien, vol. 70 - 1974, pp.206-208, ill. 161.

jamesarlen.com
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Nov, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm an arse and was looking at the wrong harness........

:-)

Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Nov, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark, I am very glad to hear it Wink - that is, that you were looking at the wrong armour. I value your opinion highly, and was mightily puzzled.
jamesarlen.com
Mark Griffin

PostPosted: Sat 14 Nov, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to blame the gin.. but I was just rushed and my opinions got the better of me. I'm leaving the post up as a reminder to not be an idiot.

Thanks all!

Neil Melville

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can tell you that the armour fetched 45,000 E at the auction. Your only hope of locating its present owner/location would be to contact the auctioneers and ask them to forward your request for info to the new owner, with your contact details, and then hope that the owner is generous enough to respond. I wouldn't bank on it, though.
Neil

N Melville

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Does anyone have images of this armour?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic