Polish Shishak by Royal Oak Armoury - for sale
About five years ago, I was visiting a woman in St. Petersburg, Russia, who has since become my wife. Love must have been in the air, because I also developed a real attraction for a 17th C Polish shishak that I found in the Artillery Museum there. I have been tinkering away at a replica of it in my spare time ever since. I have finally finished it!

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Mine will work for a head of up to 23-1/2" (60 cm), but has not yet been fitted with a liner - because its for sale! I am asking CDN$1650 unlined, or CDN$1800 with a hand-stitched liner made with your head in mind.

I hope you like it, and I would be happy to answer any questions about it.
I think this is the most outstanding helmet replica I have ever seen. Just perfect in every way. Superior work, I tip my hat!
A-mazing! I'd love to drop by your workshop some day. BTW - got me a polish wife and couldn't be happier.
That is lovely.
I wish I'd found something like this when I was in my Winged Hussar phase
*Measures head circumference*

*Checks exchange rates*

*Remembers the current projects*

:lol:

Incredible work Jeffrey. I really like this helmet type and you've done a great great job.
It is always outstanding to see something, and then not be able to believe that it is in fact real... but it is! Now, to clarify, this only applies when the thing is good - and this is most certainly good! To think that things of such quality were once made, and are still made, simply astounds me, and I praise your efforts as a craftsman in bringing these things to life. The world ought to be a better place because of it - thank you.
Jeff,

It's really nice to see that such a long-term project has come to fruition for you - particularly one that you reserved for your "spare" moments! This shishak really turned out wonderfully, and the crispness of the etching is particularly inspiring. Do you have any photo you can put up of the original for reference? I hope it finds a buyer and that you may begin tinkering with something else in the meantime... Cheers!

-Gregory
This and your Islamic turban helmet are my two favourites of yours. What fabulous work. I'm very tempted, but I'm sure it'll be snapped up quickly and if I got this then I'd want an entire suit of Polish winged hussar armour and then I'd need a sabre and then ... well, I'd be broke long before I got that far.

Truly made my day seeing this.
Thank you all for the enthusiastic response!

Gregory, here is a photo of the original, for comparison:

[ Linked Image ]

There are some real treasures in that museum, and most of them cannot be found online. I should upload my photos somewhere...
Polish Hussar Helmet
Breathtaking ! This is in the same exceptional class as that gladius made for the museum exhibit that was on these posts a while back. Superb !
Cheers !
I love the dark grey colour, it contrasts beautifully with the brass in a subtle way, without being quite so jarring as a deep blackening.
That is outstanding! What a wonderful find! Please post any photos of other treasures you've seen there somewhere!
Jeffrey Hildebrandt wrote:
Thank you all for the enthusiastic response!

Gregory, here is a photo of the original, for comparison:

[ Linked Image ]

There are some real treasures in that museum, and most of them cannot be found online. I should upload my photos somewhere...
Jeffrey

Yours is a wonderful copy (actually, copy seems too mean a word - recreation is, perhaps, more fitting) of a wonderful original.

Do you recall whether the museum attributed a date to this helmet, by any chance? And, yes, I'm sure you would have an appreciative audience if you decided to upload your other photos (Flickr, perhaps?).
James A D wrote:

Yours is a wonderful copy (actually, copy seems too mean a word - recreation is, perhaps, more fitting) of a wonderful original.

Do you recall whether the museum attributed a date to this helmet, by any chance?

Thanks, James! The helmet is late 17th C, but I don't know the style well enough to differentiate more finely than that.
Wow..........that's pretty. Excellent work. Just amazing.
my national pride grows up when I look at this helmet :) ...great work

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: