Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Late 13th/Early 14th century Baldrics? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Late 13th/Early 14th century Baldrics?         Reply with quote

I have been doing research for a late 13th century central European knight's kit, and while doing so, I have seen a handful of manuscripts depicting what looks like baldric style sword suspensions. I have also read a few books that mention there was a short revival of the use of sword baldrics in the late 13th/early 14th centuries. Is there any literary or other type of evidence of baldrics being used at that time? I am curious because I like the baldric type sword suspension, and I was wondering if wearing one would be too implausible on a late 13th century knight's kit, rather than the typical integrated sword belt suspension.

Here are the manuscripts I have seen:

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/search/?manuscript=5572

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4485/11639/

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4182/12367/

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/4447/13991/

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Joshua Waters

Benedictus Dominus Deus meus.
Qui docet manus meas ad prĉlium, et digitos meos ad bellum.

Deus vult!
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 13th/Early 14th century Baldrics?         Reply with quote

Joshua Waters wrote:
Is there any literary or other type of evidence of baldrics being used at that time? I am curious because I like the baldric type sword suspension, and I was wondering if wearing one would be too implausible on a late 13th century knight's kit, rather than the typical integrated sword belt suspension.

I suppose the first question is how would a baldric be described in the literary record of that time? Would it have a specific name, or would it simply be described as a belt or long belt?

The next question I have is whether the sword belt wasn't long enough to double as a baldric whenever the user decided that was more comfortable - rather like the numerous ways in which one style of hood might be worn.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Joshua Waters

PostPosted: Thu 22 Oct, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 13th/Early 14th century Baldrics?         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
I suppose the first question is how would a baldric be described in the literary record of that time? Would it have a specific name, or would it simply be described as a belt or long belt?

The next question I have is whether the sword belt wasn't long enough to double as a baldric whenever the user decided that was more comfortable - rather like the numerous ways in which one style of hood might be worn.

I have been searching online for a few hours now, and I was able to find these variations of the spelling: baldric, bauderik, bawdryk, baudry, baudré, baldré, baldrei, baudré. These spelling variations seem to be given a dating between 1250-1350ish, but none of the sites with the spellings quoted a source. And my search results on Google were too bloated to find anything more. If these spellings are from the period, it would seem that they were considered different than sword belts though.

Benedictus Dominus Deus meus.
Qui docet manus meas ad prĉlium, et digitos meos ad bellum.

Deus vult!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Late 13th/Early 14th century Baldrics?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic