Chain mail I need help . What is it
Hello . I'm new to the group . I need some information on some chain mail I have . I have pictures , I know nothing so all info greatly appreciated .
Well go ahead and post those pictures.

Where did you get the mail and what were you told about it? Do you think it is antique or modern? Also, click on the link in your post, it will take you to a good article on "chain mail"

And welcome to myArmoury
It helps to have a photo of the entire object, as well as good, close, photos showing about a dozen rings from the inside and outside. Detailed photos of any failed rivets are nice, too.
Chain mail pic
Head piece . And shirt . I got it in a clearance . The man said it had been in house for 120 years previous to that no idea
Pic
Head piece it's not letting me upload a pic ? My email is russell0taylor@gmail.com if you can email me I'll send pics ?
To be able to attach picture on this site, you will need to shrink them first.

Right click the picture
Click open with...(select paint)
In Paint you will find "Resize" under the Home tab, click it
In resize click pixel, and resize it both horizontal and vertical below 1000
Upload the picture in the full editor on this site by clicking browse, and then add attachment
Submit the message when done.

To show the picture in a message you have to first upload the picture, and click into the picture file.
Copy the link, and go back to the full message editor
Paste the link and then highlight it and then click Img on the top right
Submit the message.
Here are Russell's photos. There were a couple more but I am uploading these from my mobile and I can't shrink them.

Attachment: 195.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 224.43 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 227.14 KB
[ Download ]
Re: Chain mail I need help . What is it
Russell Taylor wrote:
Hello . I'm new to the group . I need some information on some chain mail I have . I have pictures , I know nothing so all info greatly appreciated .

Hi Russell

This armour looks Indo-Persian to me. The helmet is of a type called a Kulah Khud. The opening and the clasps on the front of the maille shirt are typically eastern looking. Datewise I would suggest 18th-19th century. The maille covering the helmet is rather unusual. It all looks to be in pretty good condition. Someone with a greater focus on eastern armour could give you an idea of its value. Are the links rivetted? (i.e. Is there a little pin hammered into the ends of each link to join it up?)
On the shirt it is little pins on the helmet it looks like I little triangle meeting I'll get a better picture to yo u
Russell the links are riveted together, rather than the two ends of each link simply being butted up against each other. Riveting shows better quality and gives greater strength. The little spurs on the inside of the links is also indicative of eastern origin.
Ok well that's a good sign . Any idea of value ?
Russell Taylor wrote:
Ok well that's a good sign . Any idea of value ?
Russell, there is absolutely no way anyone can give you accurate information on your armor without much better images. If you are serious about getting a good idea of what you have then you need to take good, clear, close up images of the mail links, both from the outside and inside, you need to spread the shirt out flat and take better pictures of it as well, any details such as the clasps would be helpful and any close up shots of the metal on the helmet would be helpful as well. If your camera is not very good try to borrow a better one, blurred images are of no help at all.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: